Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Daily Routine

Hi, (PLEASE SOMEBODY REPLY TO THIS!!!)

I've just taken over a Reception Class for this last term before they go into Year 1. They are a bit wild and obviously have not had the best learning experiences to date (no disrespect to inexperienced previous teacher). The classroom was very poor and did not support, challenge or promote their learning in any way. In fact, it was the worst Reception Class room I had ever seen. Everything is really old and I took 2 days during spring break to re-vamp the whole thing and change it all around and bring my own resources to help them access more learning opportunities. However, they don't seem to notice it. It's as if they have never used the environment at all to support their learning, i.e if nothing is set out on tables for them, all they want to do is run, run, and run more. They have no idea how to open a draw and look inside. I've put things on top of low level shelves ready for them to take and play with, but they don't touch them. I've set up the inside and outside for them to make choices on what they want to do and bearing in mind I have been doing this for 12 years and have been awarded Early Years Professional Status, I'm quite stumped! If I set up outside they just run all over it and rush over to get the wheeled toys and then ride all over what is on the mats or set up. They throw sand at each other and at the windows, they throw water at each other, it's quite amazing to see. I've always used free-flow play indoor and out with this age group, but I'm wondering if because they have not been used to it up until now, whether I should revert to a more structured daily routine, bring back all the tables etc, (I took some out to make space and left some there), give them dedicated places to sit and put things out on the tables ready for them etc.. just to finish off the year. I have 30 in the class.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I am particularly interested in seeing daily routines that other Reception Classes use if anyone can share with me please?

Would appreciate anything!

A.Wools...

Hello,

I just really wanted to sympathise with your situation. It sounds like you really need to imagine you're back in September and go through establishing all your routines and expectations again - but it will be more tricky because you'll have a shorter time frame to work with and lots of bad habits to help the children unlearn. Maybe you need to work with gradually offering them more independence and your focus for a while, rather than working on their learning across the curriculum, will need to be on helping them discover new ways to access their learning environment. And lots of circle times.

30 lively children is a tough one at the best of times (my class - I've never known so many superconfident 4 and 5 year olds in one cohort - its great but exhausting!). I really feel for you and will be following this thread to see how your getting on and to see all the great ideas everyone else will come up with. Sorry I can't be more help. Let us know what you decide to do and how you get on. Good luck!

Emma

Oh my goodness!!!

What is your remit from the school/head?

The freedom/ independence may be of no use them by the time you have established it if they are moving on to a more formal year one? You might be better to establish a routine within a more formal set up and gradually introduce elements of choice and free flow.

Do you know how they were working before?

Good luck. Let us know how this goes!

Thank you Susan and Emma. I think you're right Susan, it's probably too late in the year to have high hopes for them getting the best from the free-flow. I think I'll have to do my best and make it a bit more formal. As for what they have been used to. From what I can gather from other staff members it was my predecessors first ever time in Reception and she didn't really establish the ground rules too well. Let the run riot basically by the sound of it. The class was a horrific mess when I got it and not one child knew where anything went - so a big uphill battle. It' just nice to share and not feel like a failure.

I'll keept you posted.

A.Wools

Could you try the learning wall idea with the children. Let them decide what they want to learn and go from there?

What a difficult situation to be in. I read your post last night and immediately thought that you'd have to go more formal. However, this does depend on the year one setup - if the Year one chn are continuing with a play based approach to learning then I think it would be a good idea to go completely back to basics - establlishing rules, modelling appropriate play, etc.

However if the Year One is set up fairly formally then I guess spending lots and lots of time on this many not be the bestuse of time you have left. On the other hand, turn taking etc, role play and independent learning are all very important in both KS1 and KS2 and for life in general so perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to go completely back to basics.

Sorry, no answers - it is a difficult one. When I started in my job I was in a similar situation to yours however I started at the beginning of the Spring term so had two terms with that cohort of chn. I decided to go completely back to basics with these children however it took at least a term for the majority to be able to play purposefully within the class without too much adult support.

I am sure you will make the right decision for you and your children - let us know how you get on.

What a difficult situation to be in. I read your post last night and immediately thought that you'd have to go more formal. However, this does depend on the year one setup - if the Year one chn are continuing with a play based approach to learning then I think it would be a good idea to go completely back to basics - establlishing rules, modelling appropriate play, etc.

However if the Year One is set up fairly formally then I guess spending lots and lots of time on this many not be the bestuse of time you have left. On the other hand, turn taking etc, role play and independent learning are all very important in both KS1 and KS2 and for life in general so perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to go completely back to basics.

Sorry, no answers - it is a difficult one. When I started in my job I was in a similar situation to yours however I started at the beginning of the Spring term so had two terms with that cohort of chn. I decided to go completely back to basics with these children however it took at least a term for the majority to be able to play purposefully within the class without too much adult support.

I am sure you will make the right decision for you and your children - let us know how you get on.

Thank you. It's good to get replies. I think I will go a bit more formal. They do go straight to formal in Year 1, so with the short time, I'll get them ready for that. I'll start the morning with Letters & Sounds and set out some literacy activities to get stuck into. Then I think I'll do some more formal maths after play. We've already got dedicated ICT and PE slots during the week and then we can use the afternoon for more creative work and an attempt at the free-flow play.... I will keep you all posted.

Regards

A.Wools

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)