Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Distribution Of Areas During Carpet Times

Hi everyone. I just wondered if you could share how you decide how much time will be allocated to the different areas of learning for carpet sessions in Reception.

We currently do 3 x carpet sessions a day (10-15 mins max) and story time / singing on top of this. It roughly works out as:

5 x phonics

4-5 x shared reading or writing

4 x maths

1-2 x PSED

Is yours similar or do you do carpet sessions in other areas too, e.g. whole class carpet session on a KUW exploration and investigation theme before doing a rotated small group focus on a related activity?

I think our other provision, e.g. small group focus / outdoor is more equally weighted between the areas but this carpet thing has been bugging me for a while!

Hi there,

I teach in Reception and I do similar....

5xphonics first thing each morning

4xliteracy inputs

4xnumeracy inputs

These are generally in the morning....

I also do 3 x (sometimes 4!) KUW short sessions in an afternoon before creative and KUW activities. E.g. Transport topic - this week is Trucks and Cars (Duck in a Truck for literacy) so we are discussing different cars, looking under the bonnet of my little Polo, making a simple graph off favourite car colours (ICT) etc.

At my school, the afternoon is really long - we don't finish til 3.35pm, but at least that there is plenty of time to do KUW without it being squashed.

Hope this helped....

Nomie.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)