Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pshe Observation

Hi, our Head is observing every class being taught PSHE next week, including Reception. I don't normally tend to do stand alone PSHE 'lessons' normally, but rather include PSHE within everything else that we do. I'm completely lacking inspiration for a single PSHE lesson suitable for Reception that will last 45 minutes! Plus I have a terrible headache and can't think straight at the moment! I'm not a big fan of the SEAL resources for Reception, and can't really think where to start. Please someone help me! Thanks

I'm not a big fan of the SEAL resources for Reception

I used the seal resouce pack for a PSHE lesson to introduce our feelings tree.I choose 4 photo's from the pack-boy waving goodbye (sad), girl with arms crossed because the other children have bikes(angry), child crying because the other child has hurt her (frightened)happy children. We showed and talked about the photo's and put them on the white board.Each child had a set of 4 small laminated expression faces and when I described one of the photo's they had to choose which feelings it was and hold up that card.We then had small groups of children show how their faces would look for each expression.

You could get a tree branch like the commercial one and make your own feelings tree.Paint it and sprinkle with glitter (look at the learning wall thread)

reception have done similair with flowers with centres with facial expressions and each child as decorated their own spring peg which they clip on to say how they are feeling-looks very affective.

For a really simple, no worries session, I'd start with a great PSHE inspiring text - Dogger, The Selfish Crocodile etc - and read the story and discuss it with the children - children talk about how the characters feel, relate to their own experiences, similar situations in the classroom, what they think different characters should do at different points in the story, why they think characters behaved that way. Very straightforward, but I always find good stories a good way in to practically anything!

Emma

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)