Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hard Day

emmajess

Has anyone else had a full-on day or is it just me? 2 weeks off and the children in my class seem to have almost completely forgotten anything they ever knew about how to behave in school - or maybe I've just forgotten what it's really like! I think 2 weeks of just being on this forum has left me with slightly rose-tinted glasses about how fantastic early years is (but I do love it - EYS and the forum!) but nonetheless, today was crazy! xD

Started off at 8.40 with 2 parents having a huge, swearing row on my carpet just as I was trying to settle a little boy who was crying, and pretty much went steadily downhill from there! :(

All 30 children are staying full-time now and they're even more shattered than the others, we had building works over the holidays - which aren't finished now - they're still putting in windows, so no sand or water as whole of that area out of bounds; children have forgotten their good listening, are being SOOOOO noisy, and are pushing, shouting, hitting - even swearing at my TA - he called her a f-ing idiot - and he really loves her (he immediately burst into tears) - it was like being back at the worst moment of September, but without having the optimism of a whole year to get on top of it! :o

I'm sure tomorrow will be better, though. And we did have a fantastic time digging over the garden preparing it for planting later in the week, searching for worms.

Anybody else have a hard day?

Emma

Feel for you Emma when things go bad one day it just seems to get worse doesn't it. I always think of a rolling stone it gather momentum as the day goes on. But at least at the end of the day its got to the bottom of the hill

Tomorrow can't be the same

I had a bad day the othe day with an ex-family coming in and had a deja vue of a child protection issue kicking off. After 3 hours listen to this family crying and asking for help I had to tell them I couldn't. It was so draining.

This is always a really bad term for children its the stroppy term when they all seem to think they know it all. The only consolation is the come September they will be back to little ones again. in a new class.

Hope the days get better

Steph

If it helps I had a mother arrive today saying she was potty training her child, if she had asked me I would have told her that they are not ready due to various difficulties onf comprehension. After 5 changes of clothes from just wet to sopping and URGHHHHHH we put a nappy back on!!!!!!!!!!

Will have to let her know tomorrow that we are not doing that again just yet

:o I had set up an interest table set arounf the theme of castles,knights and princesses (St georges ) loads of books,dragon .pictures etc oh with a lovely cut out of castle walls as an edging strip and the little darlings !!!!!!!!had been in for 1/2 hr and the table was trashed ripped!!! was not pleased as they also ripped the drawbridge off of the role play area that we had made into a castle.

Bless you all!! Sounds like you have all had a pretty tough day!! The good thing about working with young children is two days are never the same. Tomorrow could and will be completely different!!! And hopefully for the better!!!

I'm sure our children get no sleep over the weekend because we had about 6 of them getting up to allsorts today. Deliberate breaking of toys. Being so loud, screeching in the room, demanding this and that without a please or thank you. We've had 2 books ripped this morning and all i seem to have done today is correct them and ask for apologies.

Had to have 2 sets of parents in after the a.m. session, behaviour has been so bad.

Hope tomorrow is better for all of us who've had a hard day. :o

I must have had an easy day then. I went to work, had to tidy up after scouts (shared used building) managed to sort everything out quickly, then settled in for an nice session. Was on my way back when dad asked me to pick up mum. Managed to get my assigment work typed up and had tea.

The scary bit of the day was when we went to visit dad in hosptial, dad was delayed by 2 hours and we got told to go in after 6pm. So we got there at 6.30pm to find no dad or his bed! We had to wait ages for him to come back from recovery. I saw dad who was waving like mad at me :o turns out that he was sick after he came around. I am glad that it went well as expected. He's staying in overnight but seems to be doing well when we left. I only got back 15 mins ago as we went to grans for an our and went for a quick shop. Now I will be resting up for the rest of the night.

Beth

I often find that the first few days back after the holidays are quite difficult. You have to bear in mind that many children these days have few boundaries and little structure in their home life. It is quite a lot to ask them to suddenly switch back into this after a long break. I am sure with patience and lots of reinforcement they'll soon settle back in - good luck! :o

Hope your dad is fine this morning Beth. xD

I had a lovely day yesterday watching TV with hubby and left all the housework.

Today was different. Six hours with staff who spent most of the day tidying up, little if any interaction with the children (1-2's) except demands for them to 'sit down if you're playing with that' and 'leave that there'.

Not a good day you might think, but the worse was NO BREAK!!

Feel absolutley clobbered and have decided I wont go back.

Sorry to hear that Rea. Are you a supply there?

I cannot understand people wanting to spend all their time at work wanting to tidy up instead of playing with children. They should go get a cleaning job!!! xD

As for you Rea, you need another relaxing day, on front of the TV with hubby, a nice relaxing bubble bath or some retail therapy AND.......a better job!! Somewhere where you can be appreciated. :o

Our families got their school choice letters last week so there's been lots of talk in homes about moving on to 'big school'.Quite a few were disappointed and there's playground talk of appeals etc.The children don't understand the time frame of the move and its just totally unsettled them.Boisterous play, no effort with tidying...... need I go on.The first effects of the weather turning towards Spring are also being felt and its making the human creature restless-me included.

It also prime time for Ch****n P*x so beaware that this change in behaviour may have an hidden agenda.

REMEMBER....

Lets be careful out there!!!!

(if you too young its from an old police show :o )

Beth, I feel really bad for ranting about my day - your dad being in hospital puts it in perspective. Hope he's feeling better now. And Rea, I hope your situation is improving, too. :(

Also, today was much better - they're still a bit loopy and the summer borns are really tired now they're full time, but behaviour was more manageable - had to resort to really extreme positive behaviour management - rewarding anyone who behaved remotely appropriately... hopefully tomorrow will carry on more of the same.

I'm sorry you had bad days, too, yesterday, but I must admit I feel better that all you great practitioners have them too! My reading of posts on here so far had given me the impression that everything is always wonderful for all of you because you're good at your jobs and therefore I mustn't be! :o I felt a bit embarrassed making the initial post - but now I'm glad I did! xD

Hope you all have great days tomorrow! :(

Emma

I have had a hard day today. I have been left feeling very stressed out by our staff meeting, I did try to do a simple planning system BUT some of the staff don't understand B23 and stepping stones (as preschool calls them). I came up with an idea of using some elements of the EYFS of longterm - contious provision/festivals/'loose'themes, weekly planning sheet and activity sheets but using the stepping stones until September. But I think things got confused and they thought I said just use the EYFS pack.

Plus another staff mentioned that in the area where we are, they are expecting us to use both B23/Stepping Stones AND EYFS in the child record books. I am not sure how this will work in practice.

By the way dad is feeling a little better, he had a nose op which consisted of removing a polip (sp) and realining his nose. He is in some pain today and has been told to have 2 weeks off work. It does seem strange to see dad with a straight nose after all this time.

Beth