Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tables And Chairs

This might be a really daft question, but do you have enough tables and chairs for all the children in your class to be sitting down at once? I am inheriting a class where this is the case, but they are very short of floor space. I visited my old school today, and the teacher there was saying that they have cleared out many of the tables and chairs for this reason. My new class (in September) will be YR, Y1 and Y2, so there will need to be a bit of "formality" for the Y2s at appropriate times, I expect, but I'm wondering how much I could get away with? I might be wrong, but I can't imagine there being a time when all the children are sitting down at tables at the same time.

:o

Edited by Guest

Hi Tracylu,

are you in a small school with a mixed class of rec, y1 and yr2? I did not quite understand your post. In my school we have tables and chairs for all the children in the y1 and y2 classes but only 18 chairs with 3 tables for the reception class of 30 children, 1 table is used for painting/tactile. There is also a role play area, book and writing area. Craft, sand and water are in the outside area.

I actually do have enough chairs for all of my class as I have a small class, but they only all use a chair at the same time when changing for PE, when they put their school uniform on their chair.

I too have another chairs for all my children but definately not enough table space. They only use chairs when getting changed for PE and getting out their things ready to go home.

what i did was look at my classroom and figure out where possible groups could go if i didnt have tables for them all

book corner computers up to 6-8 children then i took a table away

other areas u could do this for

floor = 6-8 children

roleplay writing= 6-8 children

outdoor play area 6-8

sand water 6-8

dough art craft table = 6-8

like others i ensured i had 30 chairs for children to get change for pe so i count computer chairs and instead of 6 chairs around a table i always put the maximum possible even if they arent used for group sessions i also make one table made up with an extra table so if i wanted i could fit a large group around or maybe two small groups aound it for large group teaching

remember even if u want all the class doing handwriting as some schools do with year 2 etc u can count the floor space as a group working with small whiteboards

Hi Tracylu,

are you in a small school with a mixed class of rec, y1 and yr2? I did not quite understand your post. In my school we have tables and chairs for all the children in the y1 and y2 classes but only 18 chairs with 3 tables for the reception class of 30 children, 1 table is used for painting/tactile. There is also a role play area, book and writing area. Craft, sand and water are in the outside area.

Yes, sorry if it was unclear (just typo-d "unclear" as "nuclear" - reckon someone is trying to tell me something?). It's a school with 3 classes, intake of 10 per year group, and I'll have YR, Y1 and Y2; 30 in total.

Thanks for the advice. It just looks so cramped at the moment. Glad you mentioned about the chairs for PE, and I really like the idea of a "free" table to draw groups to, especially for Y2.

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)