Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pe Equipment Wish List

Hello there,

Our PE co-ordinator has sent around a wishlist for any items we would like to see in school (no actual promises). we have the usual bean bags, small and large balls, cones, apparatus and i was just wondering if anyone had any other items/equipment that there children love to use - i feel like my PE lessons are getting a wee bit boring and want to jazz them up a bit as it is something i really enjoy! ANY IDEAS????

Sarah

Silly suggestion:

Big stretchy bungee elastic loop (trampoline elastic). Use it sitting/standing/lying on the floor in a circle, hands/feet controlling it. Lots of gross motor co-ordination, and very good for the shoulders and hips (both said to be important for ultimate development of fine motor skills needed for writing, etc.).

Have used it with 3- and 4-year olds. Have to make sure adult holds the knot, because it can "ping back" if too many let go at the same time.

Diane.

Hi Diane,

I have a long length of elastic after seeing it used at a dance workshop but at a bit of a loss of the types of activities i can use it for. would love to hear what you do with it.

Sarah

a wish list for PE?!!!!! :o

and money to buy things!!!!!!!!! xD

I wish i worked in your school. :(

we have no money for anything else other than buying resources for yr 6 chidlren . they ARE the important ones with the sats :(

Nursery chidlren just need to run around- they just play ! don't they?

I have just this minute got back from a course run by Val Sabin who does lovely lessons for gym, games and dance. We did dance (I'm shattered!!) and she/we used scarves all brightly coloured ones for movement (Foundation Stage and KS1) and these can be used for throwing and catching activities as they are good for those who find it hard to catch a ball or are afraid.

What about a parachute? Or we have a mini sports day kit that has giant spoons and eggs, as well as hurdles for little people and lots more. I'm not sure where we got it from though sorry.

Have fun

Ali

Hi Sarah,

We have been making up lots of games using rubber targets/spots that the children can steer around (or with), jump on or between, etc. Have you come across the Topstart stuff? They have been running courses around the country, and if you attend, you get a fab bag of equipment worth a couple of hundred pounds! :o Well worth looking into. They also started me off with Balzac balls; fabric balls that you insert a balloon into. Great for easy catching, and you can put little bells inside, or sand, or whatever takes your fancy! WESCO and ASCO often have some fun stuff in their catalogues.

Sarah,

Lots of rhyme stuff with the elastic using hands (row the boat, wheels on the bus, almost extensions of some simple parachute games), anything that gets the children moving with it (pulling, relaxing). So many "circle" rhymes can be adapted (e.g. ring-a-ring-o' roses), using feet to "cycle" or otherwise move the elastic (she'll be coming round the mountain", "the bear walked/whatever else/ over the mountain"). But I am looking at 2-4 yr olds, mostly.

Anything that uses parts of body or whole body with elastic is worth trying.

Diane.

Hi Helen

Yes i have heard of the topstart course and attened a half day course with the promise of a bag of goodies ......... but the LEA mucked up the funding and we got nothing - not even a copy of the cards! Bit of a sore point really!!!

Think that i will ask for rubbers markers and the Val Sabin Action Kids?

Thanks Sarah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)