Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maths Observation - Desperate For Some Help.

I posted on here at weekend as we have an ofsted visit on Thursday and HT told me I would probably being observed teaching science. got some fantastic ideas and have done my planning for this. Headteacher then said at 6 last night that inspector wants to watch a Foundation Stage maths lesson :o My topic this week is three little pigs/houses.

Was thinking of introducing 3D shapes as WC carpet session - showing 2D shapes and changing them into fat (3D shapes) using magic. Blowing up balloons to make them fat as detailled in Andreamay's post.

As a group activity I then thought about building a house for the little pig using a variety of 3D shapes - do you think this is ok?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - am beginning to panic now!

I posted on here at weekend as we have an ofsted visit on Thursday and HT told me I would probably being observed teaching science. got some fantastic ideas and have done my planning for this. Headteacher then said at 6 last night that inspector wants to watch a Foundation Stage maths lesson :o My topic this week is three little pigs/houses.

Was thinking of introducing 3D shapes as WC carpet session - showing 2D shapes and changing them into fat (3D shapes) using magic. Blowing up balloons to make them fat as detailled in Andreamay's post.

As a group activity I then thought about building a house for the little pig using a variety of 3D shapes - do you think this is ok?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - am beginning to panic now!

When we did the 3 pigs the children were very taken with measuring and comparing the size of their houses. Lots of Ikea tape measures, rulers and home made tape measures, string etc. Maybe stick a tape measure up the side of one of houses to help things along a bit!

Good luck

Good luck Ariel

I can understand the panic!

That lesson idea sounds fab, it worked really well when I introduced 3d shape in that way with my reception children last summer but I didnt labour the magic too much. They really liked the idea that shapes could be blown up!

Maybe they could design their houses too and then try and build them and draw what they actually build?

On the other hand what was on your planning anyway, dont make yourself too much work rewriting everything.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)