Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observations From Birth To Three

rachelllps

Hi,

I am having a problem with staff opinions on when we should start observing our children. I have some who feel we shouldn't observe until they turn three (that is any obs) , and others (including myself) who feel that some obs should be done as the children join (that is what they play with and who, etc)

When do other people start to observe? and to what extent?

Rachel

Rachel, i agree with you......some observations are necessary, to see where the child 'is at'.........as you say, who they play with,what etc)........and it needn't all be written of course, photographs are a GREAT way of recording the child's progress

Guest Wolfie

Observations should start from the time that a child starts with you - that's the only way that you'll be able to gather information about their interests, needs, levels of development, etc.

Staff will be observing all the time whether they think so or not! Observations don't have to be formal but it is essential to gather information about the babies at your setting so you can better meet their needs. Also parents like to be kept informed about any new developments in their absence. :o

Hi just thought id share what we do with our birth to threes!!

We have a notice board on the wall with a plastic wallet on for each keyworker, the staff then write observations on post it notes and put them into the wallet. At the end of the week the staff share the observations and plan activities according to the childrens interests/needs for the following week.

We also have a "all about me" sheet that we give home to the parents monthly, this includes questions like...my favourite thing to do at home is.....? and I have just learnt to say......? we also use these to plan activities.

Hope this gives you a few ideas xx

Hi just thought id share what we do with our birth to threes!!

We have a notice board on the wall with a plastic wallet on for each keyworker, the staff then write observations on post it notes and put them into the wallet. At the end of the week the staff share the observations and plan activities according to the childrens interests/needs for the following week.

We also have a "all about me" sheet that we give home to the parents monthly, this includes questions like...my favourite thing to do at home is.....? and I have just learnt to say......? we also use these to plan activities.

Hope this gives you a few ideas xx

Thanks Bubbles00,

Some good ideas there, we already use post its and have an 'all about me' but it doesn't go out as regularly as yours, might be worth a try!

Rachel

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)