Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Expression Of Excitement

I have a 4year old at pre-school that opens his mouth very wide and clenches his fists. He did this on an occasional basis but i'v noticed that he does this throughout the session.We just ignored the behavior at first.I have tried to encourage him to speak about his thoughts but he just gets embarrassed. I have mentioned this to his Dad and he says that he is copying him because he makes funny faces when he plays with him???????.The child is making involuntary movements he seems to have no control over.The child has no speech problems. Any ideas please.

Would you have some more clues if you watched to see if there is a constant trigger? That does sound as if he might be feeling pleased with himself for some reason and although unusual it could be learnt behaviour as dad suggests.

Can you describe the other involuntary movements and do they have a trigger?

No other suggestions at the moment, sorry!

Guest Wolfie

I agree with Susan -see if you can identify any triggers to this behaviour - that might give you a clue to the reason for it?

I think that he does it when he sees things that he enjoys.In fact the only times that he doesn't do is at snack or lunch time. He doesn't eat very well at home.

He opens his mouth for about 15 seconds and moves his lower jaw up and down. He often clenches his fists.This action can be repeated until he is disturbed. When I speak to him he jumps. At other times his face twitches. Yes I am sure these movements cannot be taught. I was trying to ask his dad if he did it at home but his answer hasn't really helped me at all.

It's a very immature thing and i've had 2 children nursery age children who have done this.It's more common in under 18 months.

Last year I had a girl in my class who would make involuntary movements such as facial ticks, twisting of hands in the air and jigging from one foot to the other. It was very noticable in the classroom setting and we couldn't work out if it was when she was excited or anxious. Her parents felt and she had told them it was when she was excited. She is also a gifted reader and was working at an age 9 level reading! so we and other visiting professionals (sp&L and Ed psyc) were considering Autism, Asberger or even Tourettes! With the parents support we made a referral to a paedrition who later felt that it was no of the above and that she is very bright and the movements were from excitment. She is now in year 1 and these movements have begun to calm down. I can understand why you are worried as we were concerned that as she got older the other children would pick up on it and at times it hindered her interactions with other children when playing, especially when she was excited. I am the co-senco so maybe it would be good to get the senco involved with a view to making a referral, then you can get support and answers.

Munch

Yes the other child already look at him in amazement sometimes but fortunately they don't comment on it YET. I have noticed that he isn't playing with other children as much as he used to.I will refer him to the area senco when we return after the holidays.When he first came to us at 2 he didn't do this. About 6 months ago he started to do this on an occasional basis only. His trigger seems to be the whole pre-school environment. He sometimes is just looking at the floor or the sky.Thanks for your advice everyone.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)