Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Frozen Teddy

Hi Everyone,

I'm really looking for some advice. I have an interview on Tuesday where I have to do an activity of my choice with a group of 4 aged 3/4 children (not sure of any abilities). This has to last for 1 hour and can be indoors or out. I first decided to make some playdough and then explore it but since visiting the school they have an amazing outdoor area which I feel I should use.

I have thought about allowing children to find a frozen teddy and discussing how he got there, where he came from, etc. I then thought we could make some posters to put up around the garden asking if he belongs to anyone. I would normally take this project over weeks but obviously I only have an hour. Can anyone suggest some other activities which I could do surrounding this.

Thank you in advance for any replies. :oxD:(

After more thought, may do a strange packed lunch box e.g. blue tuna sandwiches, banana in a hotdog bun, etc. Who does it belong to? How did it get there, etc. Then can do pics of what he/she looks like - maybe one on large scale. We could draw his/her house. We could make posters to find the owner . . . .

Does anyone have any other ideas on this topic? :oxD:(

I usually just add blue food colouring to the tuna when I take it out of the tin. Then make the sandwich up as normal!

All I would caution is that if you don't know the abilities of the children then planning an activity which requires drawing skills may be quite demanding for some 3 year olds. :o

I think I would find this difficult, an hour is a very long time.

Could you start with a story, related to your idea such as Brown Bear, Brown Bear What do you see, or Polar Bear, Polar Bear, or Going on a Bear hunt ( adapt the end to find him in an igloo instead of a cave, if you want to do a frozen bear :o ) or Goldilocks.

Then I would encourage the children to come up with how they want to continue the play....ie: Is the Bear hungry, what shall we feed him, shall we have a picnic? (now you can get the playdough out to 'make food' for him). The bear is cold, how can we warm him? (you would need to have available various resources to enhance the childrens role play ideas).

Maybe then suggest that he is Daddy Bear from the goldilocks story but he got lost when searching for goldilocks, which could lead into enacting the Goldilocks song.

Maybe end the 1 hour session with a chat about the childrens favourite bears at home (if they have one) and they could then paint or draw a picture of their bear. (again as Beau suggests this may not interest all the children)

So really what I'm saying is a balance of adult introduction / led activity but flexibility to let the children take the idea where they want it to go. This means thinking on your feet and having resources available to support a variety of ideas.

Good luck with your interview, let us know what you decided to do and how it goes, won't you.

Peggy

PLEASE DON'T ADD BLUE FOOD COLOURING

A collegue added blue food colouring to her classes bottles of milk for her food topic (yep it was when we had small little glass bottle for each child :o in a crate).One child had a severe reaction and ended up in hospital on a ventilator xD

Thank you all so much for your advice. I have decided to play it safe and make play dough using a simple recipe card with 6 children then explore it with them. Thought I would take in some potato mashers, pizza cutters and garlic crushers for them to explore.

I was scared that the children would not respond very well to me with being an unfamiliar adult and thought that I might have to lead everything for the children if I went with the frozen teddy or strange packed lunch box.

The interview is on Tuesday so I will let you all know how it goes. I've also got to do a ten minute PowerPoint presentation on the implications of the EYFS for the setting so I know what I will be doing all weekend!

:oxD:(

We have done both the frozen teddy and the strange lunch box and both really excite the children's imagination. We asked the children to think of ways to warm teddy up and tried out various suggestions. for the lunch box the children drew pictures of what they thought the owner might look like and wrote simple captions. The children weren't allowed to sample the contents fo allergies weren't a concern.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)