Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Some Advice About Year 1 Please

Im teaching Year 1 after Easter and I would like to know what other Year 1 teachers do in terms of structure of the day and timetable. Also how is the classroom set up? Do you have areas like in reception? In the classroom at the moment there is a role play area and a bookcase! the rest of the space is taken up with tables.

Hi shootingstar, I am actually preschool but for the last 3 years have done PPA cover in yr1 classes. I can't help you with the structure of the day/timetable part of the question but I can tell you the layout of the classroom.

There is a role play area which changes every half term according to topic/children's interest, 4 computers, a quiet corner with large cushions and a book case, sand trolley, large table for messy activities, large mat area for registration/circle time, a listening station and a sink with lino flooring for wet activities and of course the rest is tables. Hope this is of some help.

I have taught year one - just let me know exactly what you are after- some planning might help to give you an idea of structure. You need to cover literacy, maths every day and then fit the other subjects around your timetable. I am in foundation stage now but i find the structure is similar at the beginning of the year and you prepare the children for year two by the end of the year. Let me know what you need and I'll attach it here.

Thanks thats really helpful, do you have a sample timetable and some planning formats? I have got my head around the numeracy planning just trying to get the literacy sorted!

Im going into school in the morning to arrange the classroom into 'areas'. Think Im going to have a creative area, writing table, role play area, listening table and book area. Does this sound ok?

I run a mixed R/Y1 and have my room set with areas as the advice thats coming out is that the Y1 should still have access to play based activities that you have set up but they then use to self initiate their learning.

Alot does depend on your managements thinking and understanding of this year group.

As far as the timetable Maths and English in the morning with the rest of the curriculum cross curricular

Enjoy yourself for the summer term remember it takes time to get to grips with a change!

Thanks thats really helpful, do you have a sample timetable and some planning formats? I have got my head around the numeracy planning just trying to get the literacy sorted!

Im going into school in the morning to arrange the classroom into 'areas'. Think Im going to have a creative area, writing table, role play area, listening table and book area. Does this sound ok?

Yes this sounds fine, you need to still have role play areas and other areas so that the children can still play- which is vital.

I have attached some plans and timetable- hope it helps, good luck

Literacyplans12th_March__23rd_March_2007.doc

timetable_summer_2008.xls

Thanks they are very useful,

Next question!

How are the literacy lessons planned? Do you have a focused activity per week with CT and other activities and rotate the groups throughout the week or something different?

Sorry for all the questions Im struggling with the way the school plans and cant get my head around it.

Thanks they are very useful,

Next question!

How are the literacy lessons planned? Do you have a focused activity per week with CT and other activities and rotate the groups throughout the week or something different?

Sorry for all the questions Im struggling with the way the school plans and cant get my head around it.

I use about 4-5 activities and the children rotate around them during the week.. here is an example.

I hope this helps and that you have a brilliant time.

best wishes

literacy_activities12th_march07.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)