Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Starting School

Hi

I work in a small Preschool and we are now thinking about the transition of our children starting school in September.

I wonder if any of you Reception teachers would mind telling me of any common problems you have come across with children when they first start school?

Also, any advice for reassuring parents who worry about their child not being ready for school (can't write their name etc) .

Thanks very much :o

Most children starting reception find the full day tiring at first and getting used to different rules and routines but soon settle in. Lunch times in a hall with lots of bigger children can upset some children.

The most important skills to prepare are child for school are the self help ones~ put own coat on and hang it up etc

as Marion has said ..........and personally I would prefer that children can't write their own name as you often have to undo inncorrect pencil grip/ formation that have been 'taught' at home, easier to start at 1st square rather than having to go back to go forwards......

Also to can parents/ children meet teachers before Sept? this makes everyone feel a little better as then the new teacher is a familiar face :o

Thanks for your replies Marion & Lisa xD

Last year the local Reception teacher visited the children in our setting and we took the children to the school so they had met the teacher a few times. I will see if the children can visit during lunchtime this year too.

I am going to write a letter to the parents and I am just checking I am on the right track. I will explain the importance of self-help skills, managing going to the toilet, eating, drinking, putting own shoes & coats on, getting changed for PE.

We always get a few parents that think their child should be writing and reading before they start school and I would like to know how to get the message across that this is not the case. Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks again :o

I think this is a common concern of the most well meaning parents! Just reassurance that all children are not expected to come to school as mini genius' and that a child has many unique skills which will put them in good sted ( ie cooperation!!) far more than barking at text!!

I always itterate that it is the enjoyment of books and the stimulus they provide which is essential so the child isn't turned off at such a young stage ( a nice way of saying don't push them because they will flander in the long term!!) children who come to school 'reading' are often 'caught up' by the end of the year and don't necessarily develop the comprehension skills a child who learnt developmentally gains............... soapbox moment over...sorry!!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)