Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maths Topic

I have an interview for a new job as a nursery teacher and I need to do a 15 minute activity for about 6 children with a link to Maths. I then have to do a whole class stroy time/circle time (26 children) for 15 minutes, also with a link to Maths.

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas for me?

Thank you for taking time to read this.

(2D into 3D shapes)

I’ve found this goes down really well with the children. Blutak 4 flat shapes to board (circle, square, triangle, oblong) & draw around them. Name/discuss. Write word ‘flat’. Show children a deflated balloon. Put it between palms & squeeze – it’s ‘flat’. How can we make it ‘fat’? Obvious response – blow it up! Show children the inflated balloon – put between palms – it’s ‘fat’! (Rub out the ‘l’ in flat to change to ‘fat’). We’re going to try to ‘blow up’ the circle. Try…no good. We need something to help us. Now for the ‘magic’. Have a sparkly box/bag. Put the circle inside & have a corresponding sphere the same size & colour already hidden inside box. (I used a yellow circle & sponge PE ball.) What shape do you think it might be when it’s blown up? You need the ‘magic words’. Can the children think of any? Draw the top of the bag together & pretend to blow up the 2D shape inside – children say the magic words & out comes ..….a flat circle!! Oh no – wrong words etc. We’ve had great fun. The anticipation is wonderful. At last you pull out the 3D shape – it’s a ‘fat’ shape. Put it between palms to demonstrate – name it. Repeat with square. I’ve found this is enough in one session. I try to ‘coax’ the triangle to go in the box/bag but he’s nervous – perhaps another day! The children won’t let you forget! We make collections of different 3D shapes; shape walk; roll/slide/both; make models; reassemble boxes that have been opened so they are flat etc. Best of luck!

make sure you have the triangle ready cos the children WILL beg for more!!

i used the plastic squidgy sparkly shapes from tts and covered empty boxes in the same colour. i used a ball the same colour too.

Edited by Andreamay

Thank you so much for that idea. I will definitely try it in the future but I stuck with a simple dice and pea game (throwing dice and filling cup with that number of spoons) which went really well. Thanks again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)