Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Delegating Key Children

Hi xD

wondered if anyone out there is using a method of shared key children and key folders?

My boss and I are thinking of changing to this way and choosing a solution to ensure that it works well

as we have some staff do really well and some not so well and should we choose the main person and then on days they not in the 2nd person carrys on, but should it be someone who the same level as they work or one that not so good with intentions of making them work well too?

hey anyone out there got any suggestions or tips on this would be greatly received :o

Hi. I don't know if it would work for your setting but we have used two people as Keyworkers for one child before as the 2nd person was new to the setting. They have therefore shadowed the other Keyworker and learnt from them. Even though you don't have new staff that are causing you worries (I assume) if your numbers were lower in September perhaps could you find some reason to do something similar - maybe altering the format of your record keeping slightly with the excuse of the EYFS introduction and then ask your weaker staff to shadow the stronger ones in being Keyworkers?

I'm very interested in the answers to this thread as i have staff who's keyworker records aren't as good as others within the setting.....some staff really seem to struggle with their record keeping... this way would be a role model to the eothers who were strugggling.....

Looking on the Key person card under effective practice it says:

Provide a second key person for children so that

when the main key person is away there is a familiar

and trusted person who knows the child well.

http://www.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/eyfs/reso...ads/card2_4.pdf (2nd page)

But you do run the risk of your 'good' key persons doing the job of the less effective ones and doubling their work.

Perhaps you could have a stipulated format and meetings when you all fill in records together. Or in house training how to keep the key records.

Although we only have one key person to a child we are lucky enough to have a volunteer who supports the staff and is qualified so is able to do observations if keyworkers are feeling bogged down. Perhaps if you were able to have a staff member who wasn't a keyworker but supported other staff when necessary this may help.

Hi, we only have one key person per child. Over the last term we have had a new member of staff take on this role and at the moment is shadowing another member of staff....she is doing well and will now go 'solo'. We have had some in-house training recently as I introduced a few different ways of noting observations and this has really helped.

We have another meeting tonight for all staff to concentrate on their dev records and make sure they are up to date because we have a parents evening on Monday!!!!!

I only started working at my setting in January but I have been a volunteer there for over a year before that. At the moment I am not a keyworker for any children so I am able to 'float around' where needed - things like observations and extra support for staff and children. Works well for us.

Sally

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)