Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Preparing Reception For Literacy Hour In Year 1

Started to put my class into ability groups for maths and English in preparation for the literacy and numeracy hours in Year 1 . At the moment I have two literacy days and two maths days and the other areas of learning are on-going on a daily basis. Do we, as Reception teachers, have to do literacy and numeracy hours in the Summer Term? or is there some scope for teachers to decide what suits the class and start to get the children to work in small groups, but not necessarily follow the literacy hour format to the letter? I would be interested to hear what other people do as I am getting my knickers in a bit of a twist!! We think an inspection is looming after Easter and so I wanted to be sure I am doing the right thing.

Emily

It is not about you making sure the children are ready for Year 1 it should be the other way around... the Year 1 curriculum being flexible and engaging in a play based curriculum for at least the first half term to term.

As a reception teacher with children who achieve well we begin to do slightly longer sessions by about 5 mins and a little more recording in the summer term, but only when the children are ready. I will not be doing it yet with my class they are very young and not ready.

We do one writing a week, which we introduced last week as the children are only just ready for that. We also only record once a week in Numeracy.

We do not follow the literacy hour and it is not statutory in Reception.

Hope that helps

Lorna

Lorna I do so agree with you. Our role is to take the children as far as they are able to go and it is role of the Y1 teacher to take them from where they are.

Many schools are being much more creative about the way they work in Y1 and taking on the ideas in the Continuing Learning Journey and working much more as we do in YR. Also many schools, mine included have ditched the literacy hour and numeracy hour and we work much more through themes working from what the children know and what they want to learn.

So Emily straighten out your knickers don't worry about getting them ready do what you now is right for these children now!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)