Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outreach Workers In Surestart Centres

I've just heard on the news that the David Cameron has suggested an idea to increase the number of health visitors to support families. He said that he would reverse the current government's policy to increase outreach workers at surestart centres and use this money to fund the extra health visitors. Not sure where they would be based.

I was very disappointed to hear this as I think that outreach workers are so important in enabling access to services for families who maybe would not or could not be reached otherwise.

Just wondered what others think about this idea?

Sally

The shortage of health visitors is a problem. They are now unable to carry out routine checks on babies/children and have to rely on parents filling in their questionnaires correctly. I think every town has a health clinic but not every area has a sure-start center They are opening two new ones in my town (using existing provision :o) but they are very near one another. So the opposite side of the town has nothing planned.In this area families are very reliant on H.V. support.

I don't think David Cameron understands the stirling work the outreach workers do! I'm all for increasing health visitors but take the money from taxing fuel or cigarettes etc!!!

I agree with you janine. It should not be an either - or situation. Both health visitors and outreach workers provide invaluable services and one should not be curtailed to fund the other. Am I being naive in not understanding why we can't finance both? Maybe too many MPs need their kitchens refurbished!!!

Sally

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)