Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Target Setting For Reception Children's Writing

I am the Foundation Stage coordinator in an International School that follows the British curriculum. The push from our Primary school literacy coordinator/KS1 teachers is to have our reception children's writing targets written down on card that the children should have in front of them when involved in a directed writing task, as currently happens in Y1. Myself and several of our staff team feel that the teacher verbally discussing the targets is more appropiatel - any comments? :o

Edited by Guest

I agree- discussing it is definately more appropriate for reception. My reception children are reminded of their targets when we start guided writing. Most of mine wouldn't be able to read them if they were written down. I have a little grid of 4 pictures to remind them of capital letter, full stop, to use their phonics and finger spaces which we use most guided writing sessions too. I can try and attach it if you think it might be useful.

Bethie xx

Guest tinkerbell

I like your idea bethie,I would like to see your grid.

I have a target sheet stuck in the back of the 6 year1 childrens books which flips out and their target is on there .They read it out to me before they start their work eg

Finger spaces

check my sentence makes sense

Don't forget full stops

etc

Here's a copy of my grid I mentioned earlier. It really helps the children remember what they need to include in their writing and even my SEN group know what the pictures mean as too what they are suppose to include.

Susan is write sparklebox have some resources to support writing targets-

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/cll/writing/other.html

writing_success_criteria.doc

Thanks for sharing bethie xD

Maybe you could put them in the resource library then others can find them or be referred to them in the future without having to find this post. :o

Peggy

[Thank you Bethie and everyone for your replies, I will suggest the grid instead. One of my arguments was that the children cannot read the targets and keeping track of one piece of paper is enough at this stage!!

Will see what response we get next week! :o

This should be linked to the topic on target setting for reception children. I don't set formal targets - we have keys to learning- made on key shaped labels with a statement 'I can..' on each key, these are shared with parents.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)