Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Story For Subtracting

Hi,

I am after some help from fellow FS teachers....

I have a PM observation next week and have decided to teach subtraction - I want to teach the strategy of counting how many are left. I am thinking of using a story to model subtracting as taking away - any ideas of a good story. have some number songs but would really like a story.

Thanks

Vikki x

Guest Wolfie

I think there's a story called Ten in the Bed by Penny Dale, with toy animals climbing out of bed - but can't remember if the actual numbers are mentioned in the sotry?! Might do as a starting point though?

Do you have the story A bun for Barney by Joyce Dunbar?

Barney the Bear has a delicious bun. But every time he tries to eat it another animal comes along and asks for a bit.

This is one of my favourites and the children like it too. Each time he meets an animal he gives them one of his cherries till he ends up with just the bun itself. It's a lovely story with lots for children to talk about. Besides the maths aspect there is also the theme of sharing, especially something you would love to keep to yourself!! :o

I have looked on Amazon and it is no longer available unfortunatley, we have had our copy for some time, but somebody may have it for you to borrow.

Linda

Thanks so much for your ideas. I am going into school am so will be hunting the book boxes in all FS and KS1 rooms! Thanks.

I have used 5 Current Buns in a Bakers Shop and Ten in a Bed, Five Little Firemen, Ten Green Bottles ect. rhymes as a way into subtraction in the past. Children have loved acting them out in role!

I think there's a story called Ten in the Bed by Penny Dale, with toy animals climbing out of bed - but can't remember if the actual numbers are mentioned in the sotry?! Might do as a starting point though?

i've done ten in the bed story and then used a duvet and the children to act it out children really loved it and left it out so they used it independently later in the day

ten in the bed is brilliant for small world and role play and penny dale has also written ten out of bed and ten play hide and seek.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)