Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Confused Over Writing Elg

'Begin to break the flow of speech into words' - can anyone shed any light on what this actually means? It's in the writing section of CLL and my mind is just blank. What would this look like?

Guest Wolfie

I think it means that a child recognises that spoken (and written) language can be broken down into separate "chunks" - words - and demonstrates that in their play, comments and conversations with people.

In the guidance, it says as an example "Dexter tells the practitioner a story at a pace she can write it down" next to that stepping stone, illustrating the point that he's making the connection between saying a single word and writing it down rather than seeing speech as a continuous flow. It's a precursor to starting to sound out words and thinking about initial sounds, etc. - the child needs to recognise that words are single units before being able to recognise the sounds/letters that make them up. The bit in the guidance about what the practitoner should do to encourgae this maybe makes it a bit clearer, e.g. acting as a scribe and saying each word seprately as you write it down.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, hope so! :o

Are you looking at the Framework Ariel as I think this can make it all very confusing. I stick to the FS guidance and find it much easier but I agree with Wolfie it is just them realising that spoken word can be represented by marks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)