Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Train Ride - Planning

Hello,

I was wondering whether anybody could give me some ideas to do around The Train Ride. I thought combining 2 groups to find total using people on train carriages for MD, litreacy I'm a bit stuck... thought the children could make a story map of the train ride.

What I really struggle with is daily CLLD and MD carpet sessions linked to the topic and, if I have two focus group activities for MD & CLLD, then relating the carpet session to these, as the focus group activities tend to be ongoing throughout the week - my TA and I work with a group each in each CLLD & MD session.

I have been told that maybe I'm being too formal - i've come down from key stage 2 you see. Could somebody tell me what they do for carpet sessions on a daily basis please?

Thank you!

Tash

Guest heleng
Hello,

I was wondering whether anybody could give me some ideas to do around The Train Ride. I thought combining 2 groups to find total using people on train carriages for MD, litreacy I'm a bit stuck... thought the children could make a story map of the train ride.

What I really struggle with is daily CLLD and MD carpet sessions linked to the topic and, if I have two focus group activities for MD & CLLD, then relating the carpet session to these, as the focus group activities tend to be ongoing throughout the week - my TA and I work with a group each in each CLLD & MD session.

I have been told that maybe I'm being too formal - i've come down from key stage 2 you see. Could somebody tell me what they do for carpet sessions on a daily basis please?

Thank you!

Tash

Hi Tash,

The carpet session only needs to be short. It doesn't necessarily have to be linked to the topic.

Ideas for that book.

You could number the carriages by writing the numbers, put different numbers of items into carriages, order the carriages, write/ draw what they think they might see on a train ride, make a train picture using shapes, make trains using junk modelling, have out a train set for them to make up a story, identify/ sort/ write / read either t words or ai words, make up a story about were the train will take them or make up a story map showing the train journey.

I am currently revamping my timetable (again!) and plan to have carpet sessions for CLLC and MD every day in the morning (1 first thing after assembly and one after play) lasting about 10 mins each with a 20 min phonics session at the end of the morning session. The focused adult activities will sometimes relate to the book, sometimes reinforce the phonic activities and sometimes will be linked to other areas around the classroom (like extenidng play in the role play area).

I hope that has helped in some way. If you would like any more help than please feel free to contact me.

Helen

thank you so uch for getting back to me. you have reinforced my gut feeling! i do a lot of phonics activities to consolidate what what we have been doing in the sessions especially with my less able children...i wasn't sure i was doing the right thing so thank you!

Tash X

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)