Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Literacy/ Numeracy In Reception

Guest heleng

Guest heleng

I am currently looking at our FS planning and observation sheets for Reception and Nursery as we have an NQT starting after Easter, the EYFS is coming in and I have only been in FS since September! I need to get my head around any changes and how it will all work.

I feel that the current timetable I work to and the balance of adult focus activity is very literacy/ numeracy heavy. We have 3 adult led short carpet sessions a day, after assembly, after play and after lunch. The first session of adult input is literacy, the second numeracy and the third music, art or knowledge and understanding. In each of the sessions there is an adult focused activity based on the learning objective for that session for ind or groups of children (again literacy, numeracy and then one other).

There are a variety of continuous provision activities available, including some that are linked to the literacy or numeracy obectives but the chn have fairly free choice with a balance of CI and AI. As well we have additional activities linked to the children's interests, topic etc.

As well as this I am expected to hear the chn read individually.

How do you manage it in your Reception classes? Any help with obs sheets available? Do you have literacy input and numeracy input everyday?

I'm not to sure I can answer your queries at the moment- too much birthday wine! Just wanted to say don't panic. This is my 2nd year in reception and I keep asking exactly the same questions. There is no magic answer, you have to decide what is best for your children- I have stopped doing literacy and numeracy every day because I couldn't fit it all in, what with observing the children etc. Once you have decided what is best for your kids stick to it- make sure you can argue with anyonewy you are doing it that way. As long as you can justify your timetable then nobody should have too much of a prroblem with it.

I think I'm mumbling now. Will try to add a few more comments tomorrow.

Bethie xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)