Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Just Recovering!

I went to see The Cult in Birmingham on Thursday night - a school night !!

It was sooooo brilliant, me and my husband have been fans for donkey's and they were still as brilliant as they were 20 years on!! We probably have seen them 10 times now, I felt 18 again!

I had to post to tell you as my ears have finally stopped ringing!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Guest

I went to see The Cult in Birmingham on Thursday night - a school night !!

It was sooooo brilliant, me and my husband have been fans for donkey's and they were still as brilliant as they were 20 years on!! We probably have seen them 10 times now, I felt 18 again!

I had to post to tell you as my ears have finally stopped ringing!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, lucky you - I used to love them!

I saw Siousxie (can't spell it) and that was just ace-scary with such a rough crowd, but brilliant, went to a festival this year with my 16yr old daughter - felt like her granny!

I'm still gigging like a 16-year old - must be what keeps me young!! Or at least on my feet :o

On the subject of musical heroes, one of mine sadly died last night. Jeff Healey, king of jazz and blues guitarist, finally succumbed to the cancer he'd lived with all his life, after robbing him of his sight as a baby. I was lucky enough to see him twice, once in his early days (when he was 19) and again last year. Always magical, to me he upstaged even Patrick Swayze in the film 'Roadhouse' (The blind band leader). He was 41.

Sue

I love The Cult, I even remember when they used to be called the Southern Death Cult! I didn't realise that they were still touring though, I'm desparately trying to hunt down any tour dates for The Jesus and Mary Chain.

Karrie

Don't be daft Sue, you didn't. xD

Ian Astbury (singer of The Cult) recently toured with The Doors - he replaced Jim Morrison with the rest of the original line up, but the Cult reformed just after that, last year some time I think.

Jesus and Mary Chain, that's a blast from the past!

Spear of Destiny were supporting at the gig on Thursday which was a brilliant surprise - anyone remember them? :o

Edited by Guest

Do you believe in the westworld? Yes Shirel I remember Spear of Destiny, didn't know they had reformed either, but a couple of years ago I saw Kirk Brandon play with Dead Man Walking who did a wicked cover of She Sells Sanctuary!

Karrie

I love The Cult, I even remember when they used to be called the Southern Death Cult! I didn't realise that they were still touring though, I'm desparately trying to hunt down any tour dates for The Jesus and Mary Chain.

Karrie

Unless you want to go to Australia then this one is the only one in this country at the moment. :o

It's official me and my husband have the giggin bug back - just booked to see The Black Keys in Birmingham end of May......hurray, we have decided we have no social life which is fine because we quite like staying in and can't really afford to go out too much anyway so we will gig once in a while, gives you something to look forward to when you book up!!

here's too acting like a teenager and losing inhibitions, (forget to mention that years ago we would of been hammered at gigs - this last one we took a flask of tea and a creme egg each for the journey home!! xD:o )

Who would YOU love to go and see then Maz...........

Well. My tastes are wide ranging, but I don't really do the 'gigging' thing. I'd love to see Van Morrison to see if he's as miserable on stage as they say. The last person I saw live was Tom Paxton, and before that I went to see Lional Rich Tea with my friend who is a fan almost to the point of obsession. Ended up enjoying it in spite of myself! And let's not talk about taking my (too young) daughter to see the Spice Girls just before Ginger left! I wondered if it was all about to go pear shaped when I saw Geri give Mel B the two fingered salute after a particularly dodgy bit of footwork!

I would have loved to see Ella Fitzgerald in her heyday - her voice is pure honey. But then we're having a bit of a punk revival in our house courtesy of my son's Guitar Hero III - Anarchy in the UK and all that! I like The Kooks, The Feeling, Scissor Sisters but then Gerry from Gerry and the Pacemakers was on the radio and I like stuff from that era, too!

And anyone who is a Jools Holland fan will probably know about Seasick Steve - not sure I'd go and see him live though... :o

Another friend and I have talked about going to Reading Festival next/this year with t-shirts which say "Mums on Tour" to get the whole festival experience - something we both missed out in in our youth! I was going to tell you about the slogans on the back, but I worried about offending anyone's sensibilities...

Hardly Desert Island Discs, is it??

Maz

Guest Wolfie

Hey, don't knock it! I'm with you on The Feeling -went to see them do a "gig" (lol) on Cannock Chase last summer with my daughter and it was fab! It's Status Quo there this year...not so keen on that! :o

Oh, and it was S Club that my daughter (much younger then) insisted on dragging me to rather than the Spice Girls! She went to see Kate Nash last Saturday...her tastes have changed since then!

Edited by Wolfie

Hey, don't knock it! I'm with you on The Feeling -went to see them do a "gig" (lol) on Cannock Chase last summer with my daughter and it was fab! It's Status Quo there this year...not so keen on that! :o

Oh, and it was S Club that my daughter (much younger then) insisted on dragging me to rather than the Spice Girls! She went to see Kate Nash last Saturday...her tastes have changed since then!

What was I knocking?

I don't get the whole Kate Nash thing - saw her on Jools Holland and I wasn't impressed. Perhaps its an 'oldie' thing!

Maz

Guest Wolfie

I meant don't knock your tastes..I'd listen to your Desert Island Discs!! But what would your luxury be??

No, I'm not into Kate Nash either..but apparently she was very good!

Unfortunately with Rich up and down the country like a yoyo and decorating in earnest going on at my end, there is not much chance for live music. At the moment the only tickets we have are for Jethro Tull in May.

Unfortunately with Rich up and down the country like a yoyo and decorating in earnest going on at my end, there is not much chance for live music. At the moment the only tickets we have are for Jethro Tull in May.

I had a friend who was really into Jethro Tull - wasn't their drummer called Barrymore Barlow? or something like that?

Maz

Guest Wolfie

Maz....Tom Paxton....wasn't he the one that sang "K..K...K..atie", that old favourite from the days of Junior Choice???! I saw him at Cambridge Folk Festival once...

Maz....Tom Paxton....wasn't he the one that sang "K..K...K..atie", that old favourite from the days of Junior Choice???! I saw him at Cambridge Folk Festival once...

Quite right - written for his daughter. Also Jennifer's Rabbit, We're all going to the zoo tomorrow, The marvelous toy. But also the most beautiful love songs I've heard.

Also some very grown up songs about the Vietnam war, the US postal department's plans to ensure the mail gets delivered in the event of a nuclear attack and the little publicised assassination attempt on President Carter's life by a swimming bunny!

Not that I'm a Paxton anorak, obviously :o

Maz