Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cache Diploma In Home-based Childcare

First of all I hope I'm posting this in the correct place - I'm still trying to find my feet and am finding new sections on this forum daily (took me a while before I found the resource library which I think is brilliant). I'm just slightly miffed that it's taken me so long to stumble across FSF !!!

I'm currently undertaking the Cache Diploma in Home-based Childcare and was wondering if any other members have completed it, are currently doing it or thinking about embarking on the course ?

I'm not sure how many Registered Childminders or Nannies use this forum....

:o

• 5 weeks later...

I m a childminder and have the certificate in childminding practice which is the DHC s predecessor (excuse spelling).

I completed it in 2003 which is a while ago but have also recently completed an NVQ3 in Childrens Care lLarning and Development and have just been reassessed for Quality First- the National Childminding Associations Quality Assurance award .

Ive not see the format for the DHC but assume it may cover similar topics

If you need any advice please feel free -I ll try my best .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Janice and welcome to the forum, it's so nice to see another childminder on here. I don't think there's many of us on here to be honest.

I did the ICP, DCP and then had a baby when the ECP was starting and thought it was going to be too much to take on with a newborn plus minding so had a break and then found out that the CCP was being replaced by the DHC and had to start all over again :o

The DHC consists of five units....Unit 1 is the ICP (new Childminders have to sit a multi-choice test) I've been able to apel my ICP Assignment towards the new qualification thankfully.

Unit 1 - Introduction to childcare practice (home-based)

Unit 2 - Childcare and child development (0-16) in the home-based setting.

Unit 3 - The Childcare practitioner in the Home-based setting

Unit 4 - Working in Partnership with parents in the Home-based setting

Unit 5 - Planning to meet the children's individual learning needs in the home-based setting.

For each unit you have to submit an Assignment which involves answering questions in E1, E2, E3, E4, E5, E6, E7, E8, E9 A,B,C,D and submit bibliography and references which is E10.

I've passed Units 2, 3 and 4 with A grades and am finally on the last unit so will hopefully have the full qualification by the end of the summer !

Janice how did you find the NVQ3 in CCLD as I've got an Assessor coming on Tuesday to talk about me starting it, however my Network Co-ordinator and DHC tutor has told me I should do an NVQ Level 4 or higher qualification.

Hi fellow childminder!!

you seem to be doing well with your DHC

The NVQ was interesting and a lot of the knowledge and assignments from your DHC can be used as evidence.which is a great plus side.There seem to be similar units for DHC /NVQ and the optional ones have homebased childcare included .Though in some mandatory units it was quite challenging to fit childminding into it as it seemed to be worded more towards nursery type settings.

Not having done /seen the level 4 - though my development workers have tried to persuade me I could nt really say which to go for .They seem to be pushing the level4 at the moment -dont know if you ve found that .But I m resisting strongly!!!-but thats just me.

I love learning and doing courses but the level 4 has no appeal .I suppose it depends on what you d like to do in the future.If youre really keen you could always do both.

I m happy at level3 and my future plans are to continue childminding so I dont feel I need a Level4 to do that.

good luck

Let me know how you get on

• 2 months later...

Hi

I am completing Unit 2 and my mind has gone blank. Any help for the following question would be much appreciated:

"Evaluate the impact of recent and relevant research on children’s rights in relation to practice".

Thank you

Victoria

victoria@poppykinsdaycare.co.uk

Hi Victoria and welcome to this great forum.....

You could talk about The Children Act, UNCRC, Disability Discrimination Act, Human Rights Act.....as you're also in Wales you could discuss "The Learning Country", Flying Start and the Foundation Phase.

Hope this has helped erase the blank in your mind :o

You have mail....Kat x

Guest cathy m

I am completing Unit 2 and my mind has gone blank. Any help for the following question would be much appreciated:

"Evaluate the impact of recent and relevant research on children’s rights in relation to practice".

Thank you

Victoria

Hi Victoria

I think this relates to criteria A, I'm sure you will have seen the grading requirements "Consider how recent and relevant research in relation to children's rights has affected practice. Positive and negative effects need to be explored"

If you have the Shiela Riddall-Leech book that relates to the DHC the beginning of unit 2 discusses some historical background education act, children's act and the founder of Save the Children who was passionate about recognition of children's rights.

You could discuss the DDA 1995, Children Act 2004 relating to ECM and 5 outcomes

Good luck

Cathy

Hi Kat & Cathy

Many thanks for your replies - I am now on track again!!

Kind regards

Victoria

• 8 months later...

Hi, i am a registered childminder also doing dhc passed unit 1 and doing it through home learning.....i am soooooo stuck on unit 3 i'm usually so good at just knuckling down and getting things done, HEEEEELLLP!!!

Can anyone help with unit 3 ,pleeeeeease!!

Amy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)