Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Powercut Umm Lovely End To 29/2/08!

beth1

Last night at around 9.30 pm we ended up in the dark. :( We was watching tv at the time when dad was about to change the channel when the tv and the lights went off. xD

Firstly we had to scramle around in the dark looking for the torches (why can you never find them when you need them?) I nearly fell over the table, then mum almost walked into a door. :( We was all around the house 'feeling for the torches, mum went upstairs half way up the lights came back on for a second then went back off. Both me and mum when upstairs and found a torch. Looked out of the window to find that we are the only few streets to be out. We carried on looking for the other torch and light a couple of candles.

We finally sit down and wait it out. Meanwhile there is an alarm going on one of the neighbours houses, it went on and on and on, then as the battery is going the sound changes making it sound like birds whisling on and on. :( After 10 mins it goes off then suddenly it makes a noise before going off. During this time we all couldn't stop laughing it was one of those times where you had to be here to know why.

Having been off for over 30 mins we decided to ring the number to find out it is a wide area network problem! 10.30 pm arrives no power, 10.45 pm no power it then got to 11 pm and we decided to go to bed. I feel asleep but apperently the power came back on at around 11.45 pm. This is the 6 power cut we have had in less than 4 years of living here. When we first moved in we had 5 powercuts in 10 days. I blame it on the extra day we got given! Athought there is some work going on up on the main road so that may be the cause too, it was raining heavey just before the power cut. :o :wacko:

What a nice end to 29/2/08! xD

Beth

I'm local to you beth.I got a phone call from my dad (77) at 9pm last night. The chimney had come down and through the roof!!! :o We dashed round and called the firebrigade who sent some-one to look but as it was not a danger to the public as they have a front garden (for it to fall in) and its a minor road in an estate he didn't deem it worthy enough for a crew call out to finish it off.

The chimney stack has broken off completely at its base gone through the roof, broken a beam but is resting on the ajoining wall between the semi's.It looks embedded in the roof.

Dad wouldn't use the 24hr insurance callout and insisted on waiting until 9am this morning to ring xD At our suggestion they agreed not to sleep in the front bedroom but in the backroom.This morning we find out they both tried to sleep in a single bed and then unable to sleep they moved the double bed from the front room to the backroom.We could have done that last night had we only thought :( They wouldn't come to our house as dad thinks the house is not safe unattended

They have a back boiler so have no heating or hot water but still insist they can manage :( Sometimes the elderly are hard to help :( .They are both worried about insurance paying out/ rain getting in/ snow forecast for Monday and being a trouble.

What can I do ???

Edited by Guest

OMG!!!! that looks bad, have they managed to get the insurance people on the telephone? It may be best to evacuate the houses just to be on the safe side. I am amazed at the response of the firepeople, have they no idea about the safty of the ocupants? Maybe not.

I will send you a PM as you live local.

Beth

It's stopped dad going to the football (season ticket holder) so he must think its serious :o Just as well they lost 2-0.The insurance have got it in hand just hope they're speedy-elderly/no heating/telly etc.

My sister had already arranged to take them out for lunch tomorrow so they will be warmed and fed.I just feel a bit flustrated as there is nothing we can do to help or reassure.In my dad's eyes insurance is something you have but never use in case they think your pulling a fast one.I've taken loads of photo's and tried to reasure him they won't think he was on the roof in a force 9 pushing the chimney over!!

Glad your parents were safe. Elderly people are so independent and worry so much about officials thinking there pulling a fast one. My Mum bless her who is 94 soon only has to get so much as a penny payrise from my Dad pension then she want s me to inform the council for her - once when she got a tax repbste she wouldnt accept it as she worried it was wrong and they woyld send her to prison if she spent it! We love em though! You cna only be there for them.

smiles

I've not slept again for worrying.The winds are very strong again.The chimney is still in the roof and could come through? I've worried that if anything did happen overnight they wouldn't ring us until morning but still had half an ear open for the phone.

I hope your mum & dad enjoy their lunch today and everything gets sorted for them asap. They certainly fit the phrase, Don't make a drama out of a crisis (or is it the other way round :o ). Although very worrying for you, I can understand their "we survived the war" attitude, they are what makes Britain great. xD

Peggy

The winds are very strong again.

Biccy is not kidding about the strong winds! I live local to her and I agree the winds are very strong indeed. I thought my windows we going to blow in!

Beth

I've not slept again for worrying.The winds are very strong again.The chimney is still in the roof and could come through? I've worried that if anything did happen overnight they wouldn't ring us until morning but still had half an ear open for the phone.

Hi biccy, how did you get on with the roof situation? I hope the snow didn't get in and hopefully the insurance people have secure the roof for Monday's stormy weather.

Beth