Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Year 1 Class

i ahve a mixed year 1 reception class i am looking for advice on how best to run the class - do i divide the children into groups & work with one group each session? i have some support & have to to do guided reading with all the children twice a week - suggestions please

Hi Grove - welcome to the forum

I had a Year R/1 class for many years although I am now retired. I worked in many different ways according to the occasion. Not sure if you want general advice or specific to guided reading, so here goes. While Year R had Child Initiated time, the Year 1s had to do challenges specific to the areas of the classroom. They were free to choose but had to do one each day. Things like PE, Music, Creative Activities, circle time, story etc were done as a whole class or in mixed groups according to the number of adults available. For Literacy and Numeracy I would always have the whole class together at the beginning and end of the session, using an opening activity/plenary session that I could differentiate according to age/ability. In the middle session, I would work with one year group and my TA the other. Obviously the year 1 input/ individual work was more formal and the Year R more play-based. Hope that is some help.

Hi,

I have YR and Y1, although I have only a few Y1s. I treat them as a whole class, rather than 2 year groups, so sometimes some Y1s work with YR (in the past I have also had YR chn who have worked at Y1 level for Lit and Num activities).

I plan for YR, linking in Y1 objectives, and extending/changing activities for Y1 as needed. For example, they might record something where YR don't, or in a different way.

I have groups with either me or TA and the others (R and 1) choose. Sometimes, though, I will give Y1s a task when others are choosing, just depends really!

Let me know if you have any specific questions - I'll try to answer them but neven know if I'm doing things right with the 2 yr groups myself!

purplemagic x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)