Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What To Buy My 18yr Old Niece...... Help Needed

Guest MaryEMac

Guest MaryEMac

My niece who is also my god-daughter will be 18 on April 2nd. Anyone got any suggestions for a present, cos my mind has gone blank. Mind you it's my husband's birthday on saturday and my grandson's on monday and I have no idea for them either. :o . Luckily for me, my husband will be travelling home from Russia on Sat so I have another day to shop,

Any ideas for my niece will be gratefully received. Thank you. xD

Mary

My sister bought my niece a suitcase for her 18th.

My sisters daughter had one for her 18th and she really loved it, you can get some really funky ones these day.

I bought her some jewellery and gave her some money.

Hmmm, you might not thank me for this but I am recommending troll beads- they are Scandinavian Charm Beads that you start and add to over time. I have been collecting them for a few years now and lots of my friends and family have bought beads for me. You buy a basic chain and lock (either necklace or bracelet) and then add the beads. The beads are glass or silver (they have gold too but they are mega expensive). Some of the beads have meanings. Have a look at the website and see what you think- if you are interested. Not all shops sell them but there is a list of retailers on their site here

HOw about a "beauty day", I booked a half day for my sister to have a facial, massage, eyelash tint etc, it was reasonably priced and I found the info online, sorry can't find it now!

For something to keep jewellery is always nice, something you always tell people over the years "Aunty Mary gave me this for my 18th" :oxD

You don't say what your budget is but I got a really good gift for my 21st and have repeated the idea many times.I don't have any of the items now just the memory of the love and laughter that went with it and funnily its the present I remember and thats what special occasions should be.

My friend had packed a box with 21 individually wrapped gifts-some funny, some cheap and some just naff.I really enjoyed un-wrapping them bit like unpacking a christmas socking

I done it for

wedding-a box of goods for first grocery shop.The kind of things you don't think about like salt, tin of beans-homemade 'do not disturb' sign-kitchen roll

New home-washing up liquid, bucket, dish cloths, toilet roll, coffee, biscuits

18th for family member-nail varnish removal pads, copy of highway code, key ring with name, love heart sweets, 18th balloons basically I just go to a shop like Tesco's extra where theres a wide selection of goods and pick 2 or 3 from each section.

I usually get the box first and fill it as I go then wrap each gift fill up the box with shreaded paper/sequins then wrap the hold thing in appropriate paper.

i have bought St Christopher pendants before now, 'to look after you when you travel, and to return you safely to those you love and who love you too' and they always seem to go down well.

However....................I LOVE those troll beads....might have to invest in some!!

When I was 18 (just about remember the time...) I asked for something to start collecting - I thought about teapots as you can get a whole range of themed ones but chose 'curious cats' - ornaments of cats doing mischievous (sp) things. Could you start a collection for her, if she is interested?

How about looking at getting personal as there are gift days and heaps of presents that can be personalised to make it extra special.

What about one of the Terramundi pots (decorated earthenware money pots) They come in all different designs (with 18 on etc )and are really trendy. I think you can save up to about 300 pounds in them over time - unfortunately you have to smash the pot eventually. They come with a fortune coin which you can keep. You could put a couple of pound coins in to start her off.

http://www.terramundi.co.uk/?gclid=CPvM4eb...CFSHTXgodAhW1CA

Guest MaryEMac

Thanks everyone, some brilliant ideas there. I like the idea of the troll beads and also getting 18 little presents. I've got a little while to get them. Thanks again.

Mary

Hmmm, you might not thank me for this but I am recommending troll beads

Just what I need - I haven't taken up a new addiction for: ooh must be a few months now (some time around September when I started my degree course :o )

I love the look of Troll beads: beautiful - and I guess no-one is ever short of a gift idea. Wonder if I can add it to my birthday list...

Maz

PS Mary - do let us know what you choose in the end won't you?

• 3 weeks later...

oh dear, these trollbeads.........now have a bracelet, a lovely fish lock and a dragon bead so far.........and have sent for a couple more beads........this is going to prove costly, especially as my daughter came to the shop with me and oohed and aaahhhed so much, i ended up buying her a bracelet and lock too........she can buy her own beads though!! Fairynough, where do you buy your beads??????

Guest MaryEMac

I looked at the Troll beads but they are a little pricy, so have decided on an ordinary charm bracelet which can be added to. My daughter likes that idea cos she can get her a charm for her 18th. We'd better make sure that we go shopping together !!

Mary

I looked at the Troll beads but they are a little pricy, so have decided on an ordinary charm bracelet which can be added to. My daughter likes that idea cos she can get her a charm for her 18th. We'd better make sure that we go shopping together !!

Mary

Glad you got it sorted, Mary - now all you need to do is spend the money! I'm sure she'll love it.

Maz

oh dear, these trollbeads.........now have a bracelet, a lovely fish lock and a dragon bead so far.........and have sent for a couple more beads........this is going to prove costly, especially as my daughter came to the shop with me and oohed and aaahhhed so much, i ended up buying her a bracelet and lock too........she can buy her own beads though!! Fairynough, where do you buy your beads??????

Hi Narnia - luckily there is a jewellers in my local town (that's how I found out about them) that sells them or will order. I also looked on the website under retailers and have checked out other shops when I have been in that place. Greens of Cheltenham is the best I have found so far, they always have loads of beads in stock. With the glass beads I personally prefer to choose them myself as no two are identical. Take care if buying off e-bay as many are fake!!!!!!!!!!! They really are addictive though. Enjoy your bracelet xx