Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hearing Children Read

Hi

Sure it has been discussed before but I can't find it! How often do you hear individual readers in Reception and how do you fit them in to the manic Reception timetable?

Hoping someone has a magic solution!!

Thanks

:o

Hi

Sure it has been discussed before but I can't find it! How often do you hear individual readers in Reception and how do you fit them in to the manic Reception timetable?

Hoping someone has a magic solution!!

Thanks

:o

We have a child who has started reading the Ginn books- she shares her care with us and another setting.

She visits this setting for 10 hours a week - we take time (allocated to keyworker about 10 minutes during free-play) to ensure the child reads at least one book and learns new words - this is only one child so I do sympathise if there are more children especially in Reception.

Kim

Our literacy advisor/LEA promotes and school practise is not to have individual readers.We use banded guided readers as groups (6 children max) and these are then taken home for consolidation.Home school log book for comments each way.You can model much more effectivily and teach reading rather than listen. I did individual readers last year on PPA at a teachers request.It was the biggest waste of time for me and the children.I could not supervise 29 effective and give the child reading my full attention.There is no way i could be as 'fresh' and give the same quality of imput on the 9th time of reading the same book with the 24th child.

one children 5 mins x 30=2.5 hours and the other 29 do .......????

biccy this is what we do in our reception. I often go into the reading corner or take some books outside at Child Initiated time and just sit and read - it doesn't take long for someone to come and join me and we share books but it is their choice!

Learning to read is not hearing children read one to one even though many parents seem to think it is. I like to steep children in good quality literature and I don't think you get that in many of our reading schemes as children beginning to read are not yet ready for such vocabulary but they love hearing it and speaking it!

I am really interested in this thread. Our school policy is to hear individual readers and each child has a log book to take home as well as a class record.

The Reception teacher I took over from heard every child read every day and has suggested this should be continued. However I find it almost impossible to hear them all, even with only 15 at the mo, it will be 23 after Easter. I think it is valid for those who are ready (about 5 of mine are ready) but not sure about it for the others.

We have a reading area with a variety of books that are changed regularly, we play reading games and have shared reading. At times I also do guided reading. There are puppets and story books etc, available as well.

I look forward to seeing what other people say and how they manage this in their class.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

We have paired reading time with the children. They are paired with a friend of a similar ability and we have a couple of objectives for the children to meet during this time. The objectives are then written in their home-school record book which they take home to share with their parents. They keep their paired reading book for a week.

We have found this much more managable than individual reading or guided reading in a larger group.

Also at the end of the day when parents collect their child, they have the opportunity to take home another book to share at home. We have a selection of books, both fiction and non-fiction which they can take home too. The parents sign out and in the books they choose, a bit like a library sort of system really. Almost all children take home a book of their own choice at least once a week.

Since introducing the idea of paired reading and also selecting an additional book if they want to, our childrens profile scores have improved, but most importantly, the children are enjoying reading more. Afterall, the 6 areas of the foundation stage are supposed to have equal weighting, so you can't give too much time just dedicated to reading with the children.

Hope this is of some use to you. :o

When I was in the reception class last year, the children were divided into five groups of six. All the children had a book bag and chose a book from the school reading scheme, which they took home each week. Each group changed their book on a different day of the week. While afternoon story was read to the class, the group whose day it was to change their book went off with the other member of staff. Each child from the group read in turn to the staff member and then chose a different book from an appropriate book basket. The date, book title and comments were entered in their home book which went home in the book bag for parents to read and write their comments if they wished to.

Tissue

Hi,

We are a large Foundation Stage Unit with 60 FS2 children. We have 2 parents who come in once a week to hear children read individualy. The teachers then 'Sample ' children to read to them to make sure the parents are ok. This has worked well for us. The children also have access to a library so that we are prompoting the love of reading and not just reading school reading scheme books! Heinamenn have books where parents have to be involved in reading the main story and the children read the words in the speech bubbles. This has stopped parents wanting their children to climb the reading scheme!!

Much more enjoyable for the children!!

Regards

Sandyx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)