Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice From Other Mums

Hi gang

I know from other peoples threads this is a good place to get advice on our home lives as well as work issues.

My 10 year old is part of a weekly drama group.They do a show every year.They have hired the local upper school hall with theatre facilities in the past.In September the weekly meeting renue was move to the local Baptist church because 'there is a stage already so no need to hire a seperate hall for the shows' This is infact the platform used for services which in my C of E church we would call the altar and therefore sacred.

They have been rehearsing for months the new show (22/23 feb) which is a montage of show hits.Laura's group are doing songs from The Sound of Music.

She has brought home this months bill for drama lessons which includes an additional £10 to hire a nuns outfit!!!

I am horrified that 10 year olds are being asked to 'perform' dressed as nuns and following last years show I think its being done to raise a laugh.I find its offensive and doubly so in church and on the altar.I don't even know if the minister is aware and wether he would approve.We have not been asked if its ok or given any sort of permission.

Laura has practised so long that The Sound of Music is no longer one of my favourite things!

Do I let her perform but as the only one not dressed as a nun?

Do I contact the minister to check he is aware?

Do I let her do it and keep my uneasy to myself?

E-mail the teacher?

or am I just being over sensitive?

I'd maybe have a chat with the minister about your own personal feelings and misgivings on this subject. He may empathise and be grateful for information that he was unaware of, or he may help you to rationalise and find peace with your misgivings by giving a different view point on it.

Not sure I'd be happy to pay £10 for a nun costume, I'd rather be asked first about creating my own.

Would you be offended at your daughter dressing as a nun but in a different venue?

To me the 'Sound of Music' includes nuns, not sure where this would be an opportunity to include 'humour' at the expense of nuns, unless the portrayal is stereotypical and 'in bad humour'. :oxD

Be interested to hear the outcome of this dilemma.

Peggy

Oh dear!

I dont know what the answer is but you do need to air your views. You may be being sensitive but you are entitled to have those sensitivities. Its a shame that the more conventional stage venue is not being used but are you sure that there is not some sort of church hall alongside the worship facilities? It seems a bit unusual that the group is allowed to hire a place of worship in quite the way you describe?

Hope you can get this resolved so that your daughter does not miss out too.

Hi biccy

I think the fact that you have asked the question at all means this is an issue that is of real concern to you. Many people would accept this as a piece of harmless fun, but clearly for you this is about religious sanctity observance and clearly to go along with it just to keep the peace will make you feel really uncomfortable.

I'm not sure what course of action you can take, but perhaps you could have a discreet word with whoever is organising it. Explain how you feel - you probably won't be alone but even if you are this is something you feel strongly about. You could ask if they have spoken to the Priest and sought his views - you might be right that he doesn't know the exact content of the production. Of course, it might be that Baptists have an entirely different view of things and might not be at all offended at the church and altar in this way.

Without knowing all the details it seems as if the organiser hasn't thought this through carefully enough - I wonder if they would have done a similar thing in a Mosque or Synagogue? As a Christian you have the right to have your beliefs respected too.

I'm assuming you'll be going along to watch the performance - how will you feel about this if you let all these feelings and issues to without challenge? Will you be able to be encouraging and smile sweetly knowing that you daughter is taking part in something that makes you feel distinctly uncomfortable.

Presumably it would be just as 'in keeping' with the Sound of Music to have the children dressed in the 'hand-made-out-of-curtains' play clothes as they did in the film rather than as nuns... What are your sewing skills like?

Hope you get this sorted - this is a really sensitive issue and I admire you for sticking up for your principles.

Maz

Would you be offended at your daughter dressing as a nun but in a different venue?

I would.I just don't think its appropriate for 10 year olds and certainly doesn't promote a sense of respect for a religous calling.She's singing Maria, Solong farewell and favourite things .The children in the film dress in play clothes made from old curtains which would have been more appropriate and cheaper.There was an option.

We are so careful to respect children of other faiths and their parents views in our settings I feel quiet strongly that I should defend my own religious views.

Hali and I went on some Inclusion training yesterday (if you ever get a chance to go to an Early Years Equality training I'd advise you to - it was very thought provoking).

One of the things we discussed was the possibility that it is becoming less and less acceptable for "English" people to talk about their ethnicity and culture - and I wonder if it is possible that there is a perception that it is unnecessary to 'stand up for' Christian beliefs in quite the same way as we would routinely be sensitive to those of Muslim families or whatever.

It will be interesting to see how others respond.

Maz

I have sent this message to the teacher via the web site.I'll see if she responds before contacting the minister.Maybe she just doesn't realise that this could be an issue for some parents or the church??

We are not comfortable with Laura being required to dress as a nun in the forth coming production.We don't consider it appropriate for a 10 year old or respectful in religous building.

Laura's shown me the running programme and she's in some other scenes so I won't feel to bad if shes not the SOM.Its the grand finale with full company :o I've got myself in a real tis about this-kids!!! xD

Biccy, I think you have strength in character and your faith to have raised this issue, I am sure no disrespect was intended but as Maz and others have said, it is your right to stand up for your principles, to be listened to and respected for them.

I hope this sorts itself out and a change of costume and possibly venue is possible.

Peggy