Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessment On Entry To Reception

Hi there everyone,

We have just had Ofsted this week, and similar to an earlier post, I was subjected to an unexpected interview with the Inspector. He was really probing about the levels at which the children came into school. I realise how vitally important it is that I get these right, as the results track children throughout school and obviously results are predicted from these initial assessments.

Although I was aware of this, the rigorous questioning by the Inspector has made me seriously doubt my assessments. Does anyone out there have a tried and tested way of assessing on entry. Every year I try to find a way which is manageable :o and which provides an accurate assessment of the children's achievements. I was moderated last year, and was told that my assessments were accurate, but I am still full of self doubt at the moment.

I am an experienced Reception Class teacher and we take 30 children from approximately 8/10 different settings. We visit each child in their setting prior to them starting school, and each setting sends different kinds of assessments to us. It just seems a mammoth task every year, and I am already dreading next September.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Hi Centurians

my experience with an Ofsted inspector last year made me seriously doubt everything I know and believe in! I cant remember the questions he asked but I certainly felt as if I didnt know the answers. Most of those too were about entry and tracking progress.

Im sure your entry assessments are ok, have some faith in yourself and what you know and put this behind you.

Wonder if it was the same inspector!!?

So what did this inspector say? Was he happy with your assessment? I know what you mean there is always that self doubt do I have enough assessment! I hate post its! and I always seem to be to busy doing something else and feeling guilty that I am not always making notes at random!

Sorry I didn't explain myself really well. I suppose I meant I admire people who know all the stepping stones and goals so well that they can make notes that are relevant when they hear them. As I am new to reception it is something i personally am trying to get better at. Assessment and tracking are always on my mind. OOps didnt know i had duplicated thankys for deleting it.

Thanks ever so much to everyone for their contributions to this thread. Even though a few days have passed since the inspection, I am still questioning my assessments. Am I doing it right? Am I setting the right levels for the school to predict levels at Year 6? It just seems so vitally important that I "get it right" and in line with National standards.

I suppose there is no "quick fix" for this, I simply have to follow my gut feelings and trust my own judgements - however, it is soooo difficult!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)