Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Putting Children Into Groups

Hello - I have had an observation today, and it went really well so thanks to all of you for your ideas and suggestions for activities. Following on from the obs my HT suggested putting my Nursery children into ability groups for focussed activities in Numeracy and Language. I just wondered what everyone thought? It goes against everything I have been told about Nursery in the past... so a bit stumped now. I plan focussed activities that all children access and from observations during the activity I extend their learning there and then or the next day etc. I haven't thought about differentiating focus activities for say four different groups before - feels too much like reception. Not sure.... opinions would help!

x

I like some flexibility with my groupings (reception ) sometimes it is appropriate to ability group but most of the time I prefer mixed ability groups. Differentiation is usually by outcome or support needed. I may expect all children to do the same practical task but have the children record in different ways according to ability.

Not sure what your set up is, but from what I've been reading today for my OU Foundation Degree, concerning literacy for children, it is emphasizing play and exploration as a basis for literacy learning in the early years, building on children's experiences, embedded in enjoyable and playful experiences, rather than attempting to teach directly particular learning goals.

Not sure if that's any help? :o

Not sure what your set up is, but from what I've been reading today for my OU Foundation Degree, concerning literacy for children, it is emphasizing play and exploration as a basis for literacy learning in the early years, building on children's experiences, embedded in enjoyable and playful experiences, rather than attempting to teach directly particular learning goals.

Not sure if that's any help? :o

Thats exactly how I feel too - Im not sure whether my HT really understands the foundation stage. Just wanted to know how other Nursery teachers felt - is it more about experiences for the children or making sure they hit the next stepping stone?

Enjoyable and playful literacy experiences should ensure that children are lifelong literacy learners, who will continue to enjoy learning within a broad framework which builds on their interests and has meaning to them.

My notes include 'fast-tracking children along a route to literacy in order to acheive designated goals can damage children's disposition to learn'.

I've been looking at this topic from the point of view of the 3 and 4 year olds in our sessional pre-school. The topic talked a lot about the downward pressure from the National Curriculum. Perhaps it it easier for our setting to interpret the curriculum guidance in creative ways and agree a shared view of appropriate literacy practices amongst staff. We don't have a head teacher for a start.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)