Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Raw Eggs

Hi

We are doing nursery rhymes at the moment and are problem solving with the children how to fix humpty after he falls of the wall next week, (using sellotape, glue etc. I'm now just having a sunday night worry about the raw egg thing, but as the activity is supervised and hand washing is a big part of it do you know if its still ok to use raw eggs?

We have done the same activity with boiled ones but it doesn't stimulate the same language as raw ones!!

Thanks

What are you going to be doing with them? We've looked at raw eggs pelnty of times during cooking acitivities and don't see it as a problem - presumably you won't be doing much more than looking?

As long as you know that children don't have an allergy to eggs in any shape or form you should be ok. I haven't heard anything to say not to use them.

Do a risk assessment, identifying any problems you may encounter and what your procedure will be. That way you know what you should be doing and deal with any issues accordingly.

Linda

The children act out the accident of Humpty falling/being pushed off the wall (brick!) when faced with broken egg, try to find a way to fix it together again, some of their suggestions and attempts are great, sellotape, glue, staples, wrap it in paper etc it is a lovely activity for getting them talking and problem solving. I have done a risk assessment just to cover us I think I just get a bit paranoid these days as health and safety seems to have gone mad. Thanks for the reassurance! We are also packaging and posting eggs to school but we use boiled ones for that or the postman may stop delivering post altogether!!

They have had a great time today but it is worrying when you ask what they think is inside the egg..."a tree!" Don't you just love working with nursery children!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)