Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Philosophy For Children

Hi everyone

Was just wondering if anyone covers Philosophy 4 Children (P4C). I run a few sessions last term which proved really successful. Our head teacher is really keen for us to continue with it this term as the Church Inspector was really impressed. Has anyone got any ideas for future sessions? We generally look at stories and pictures but am really keen to develop it further. I would be really grateful for any ideas!

Thanks

Vicki

vicki

i have done level 1 training available thru SAPERE. some teachers in our school are using it. i have some stuff particularly for FS. I am an FS teacher and my 4-y-olds have taken to it amazingly (not full P4C community of enquiry). verbal description, turn-taking and sharing thinking have all improved.

you might find this attachment useful

Philosophy_in_the_Early_Years_genl.doc

Hi everyone

Thanks for all your replies! Wolfie you asked for more info. I use the 'But Why' format of philosophy... copied the blurb so you could see...

The perfect introduction to philosophy for children (P4C), But Why? Provides everything you need to introduce philosophy into your classroom. And for those who are already doing P4C, it will provide a welcome source of fresh inspiration and new ideas. Why do philosophy in school? This work clearly has a very positive impact on children's work across the curriculum, giving them the confidence to speak and discuss ideas to a high level. - Ofsted report P4C has far-reaching benefits that touch all parts of the curriculum and every aspect of school life by: creating a climate for learning increasing motivation developing communication skills boosting creativity and imagination teaching moral citizenship developing confidence, self-esteem and emotional identification. Why But Why? But Why? offers a tried-and-tested approach that uses the character of Philosophy Bear to make philosophy accessible to even the very youngest children. The manual is a highly practical guide that includes: how to run a successful P4C session using stories and other stimuli for P4C strategies that will lead to fruitful thinking inspiring case studies and examples a bank of games and activities integrating philosophy into the school involving parents.

It's really good and I find the children in my class asking really deep questions. At first I was a little sceptical and thought that they would find it too difficult. I usually work with about 10 children at a time and leave the rest with the T.A. As I mentioned before, we had a church inspection recently (as we are a church school) and she was overwhelmed by the responses the children gave. We look at a range of stories, pictures, music etc. If your thinking about starting it yourself, the 'But Why' publication tells you everything you need to know. I found this publication to be far superior to anything else. There is a link to it in one of the previous replies.

Hope this helps!

Vicki

Thanks for starting this topic off, Vicki. It's not something I've come across before and I've really enjoyed finding out about it. I'll certainly try some of the ideas in circle time. We have a 3rd year student in at the moment and I'm sure she'll find it fascinating too. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)