Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking Children

Hi I work in a foundation area 42 reception, 20 nursery chn and 29 year 1. We want to track the chn so at the end of the week we know exactly which areas they have been in. We have tried putting coloured pegs on the chn sweatshirts and then they transfer them onto a card and then a sheet for the week at the end of the day but this is time consuming.

We just want to be able to see the whole week for each child (just concentrating on Rec and Year 1) and monitor where they are going.

Anybody got a good system?

Thanks

These are just 1st thoughts....

I can see that with so many children whatever system you use will be time consuming, and is it necessary?

Tracking system may help, but time consuming, or even event sampling obs ie: one column list all 'play areas/zones and every 10 mins write the number of children present, this wouldn't tell you where each 'individual' child goes but would give you an idea of which 'activity' areas are accessed and when.

Depending on your aim for these observations, maybe an obs method that indicates when and which children are 'floating' or not accessing any particular activity, would give you a better picture of which particular children need adult intervention, support to become engaged. The children who are engaged in an activity are less needy of intervention.

If you want to see who goes where when then individual tracking obs but this would take up a tremendious amount of time, for what purpose?

Basically what are you trying to achieve? What info do you need and what are you hoping to do with that info?

Peggy

Sorry, I've re-read your post, tracking where each child has been, I can only think of doing a tracking obs, but this would take one person tracking one child, maybe 2 or 3, for the whole session. Why do you want to know this? What purpose will it have to your planning?

I would personally use event sample obs to see how popular an area is used ( on average) rather than individual child tracking, and adjust my plans accordingly.

Peggy

Rather than tracking the children across the areas, could you devise a system whereby each group of children starts in a different area each day, maybe with a focus activity and after a given time moves round freely. You might then see which children stay in the area they have started in.

thanks for replies.

We are in our OFSTED year and have details from other schools that their focus at the moment is on tracking children with regard to progress. Because our children have access to 5 areas we thought we should begin to monitor where the children have been. When my class of 21 are not with me in Literacy or Numeracy they choose which area they would like to work in. Apart from trying to persuade them into an area or asking each one where they have been and where they are going next I have no way of knowing where they have actually been. Some children for example may never go in our role play areas or creative unless directed to.

It`s difficult I know to think of a simple and very manageable way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)