Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maths Observation

I would really appreciate your help for exciting maths activities. Im being observed in a couple of weeks by my HT and FS Leader. The whole school focus is on maths and I really want to do well but Im so nervous!! They are assessing us by Ofsted's Outstanding lesson criteria!! I teach Nursery so it won't be a lesson as such - more a focussed activity where the children rotate. My focuses for this term are counting 1:1, number recognition to 10 and matching. I would really like to have an active activity - possible using ICT or the outdoors. Sorry to ask for a lot!!!

xx

during an observation i put 5 little ducks in the water tray, numbered them 1 to 5, then i put lots of little glass beads in the bottom and the children had to fish them out and say how many. I had the 5 little ducks song playing in the background and i encouraged the children to join in. you could have some numbers on clouds.

I got a free download of 'Maths Boxes' Idea by a person called Marcia Lee, but cannot find the web address, possibly even got it from this forum. Attached is the list of stories which can be used for 'intractive' maths activities. I also have a picture of the maths box that goes with the title. If any seem useful just say and I'll attach the picture as well.

I also did an activity with my preschool children with clear tubes and balls which enabled 1:1 and matching, plus dough dots, plus compare bears.

Also uploaded are powerpoint number Rhymes, which I also got from this forum.

Hope these help and good luck with your observation, just have confidence in your own professional skills and knowledge of FSC.

Peggy

MATHS_BOXES.doc

5_little_fish_v2_2_.ppt

5_speckled_frogs_v2_1_.ppt

flying_saucers_v2002_1_.ppt

one_little_rabbit_1_slideshow.ppt

post-3604-1200945580_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1200945735_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1200945785_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your suggestions - the Maths Box ideas are fab!

Seeing as though my topic is weather, I have been thinking about reading Mrs Mopples washing line as an introduction to whole class then take a small group outside to hang up pairs of socks to dry? What do you think? We have done some work on matching up pairs so thought this would be a nice activity to consolidate? I'm struggling to think about how to extend more able children - possibly order the socks in size order? Arghhh ideas please. Any extension ideas for matching would be useful! So worried....

ooh, don't worry littlemisssunshine, good idea to use what the children are familiar with, consolidating previous experiences. xD Size order sounds like a good idea for extension, if the size difference is easily recognisable, or what about extending from pairs ( groups of 2) to sets of three ( that's if you have a selection of 3 socks the same).? See how long it takes the children to work out there are three, rather than there is an 'odd' one? :o

Peggy

your washing line sounds great! Could you extend the children by counting how many altogether? How many pairs and then count in 2's, do you get the same total? You could also use ordinal numbers and even use numerals to identify how many socks are on the washing line, changing the numbers each time you add a pair or a single item?

Hi

Sorry to highjack your thread but Peggy where did you get the clear tubes?

littlemisssunshine I like the idea of the story. The way you are aimng to extend it outside is something we have done and it works really well.

Good luck

how about matching pairs of gloves some patterns ones, plain and multi colours and these are great to talk about if the weather is winter season of being cold or even socks

Some great ideas here will use some myself...

Good luck in being assess, just be you and you'll be fine

I seem to remember that they were just plain laminated pouches wrapped around and stapled. xD

Yep Beau, your quite right, A3 size laminating pouches stapled to a strong piece of card. But Bauble tubes sound ideal as well. :o What would we do without recycling eh?

Peggy

sounds like you are all sorted, some lovely ideas. Just a few more suggestions, whatabout having giant socks out in or outside and geting the children to paint matching patterns on them working in pairs a sock each so the giant wont lose them

counting in twos sounds good for extension to start young children off with this concept i always get them to understand that rather than counting in ones countingin twos is quicker and whispering the odd number shouting out the even ( the 2. 4, 6, 8,) etc then possibly matching the numeralcard 2 4 6 8 10 to the socks in the correct order

have a good day and dont forget to have tried and tested activities out too so if children are questioned they will be confident to answer

xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)