Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Literacy In Reception Class

Could anyone please tell me how they plan for literacy in reception?? I am torn between teaching a session each day but it is fitting this in with phonics and all other areas of learning. What do people follow as a structure? Is the 100 literacy hours scheme completely not-usable now (I am not saying I teach literacy hours but does anyone still use this as a guide)? I haven't really looked properly into the new lit framework as it scares me looking at all the overviews - and because its not statutory i am just using the EYFS. However, I sometimes feel like I am just plucking things from mid-air with no structure. Hope someone out there understands what I mean??? Thanx in anticipation of help!

I don't do literacy hours as such. Have just changed my weekly timetable and now don't even do literacy every day!! I do do phonics everyday and guided reading both at set times.

Hi Chrystal, this may not help you very much but i am in exactly the same predicament! I teach a mixed Y1/FS class and up until January only had 6 very able FS children, so these children did have a literacy and numeracy activity every other day i.e. lit on Mondays and math on Tuesdays which followed the structure of the Lit hour with the new framework (which i find SOOO difficult to work out!).

But now, with my new intake i have 15 FS children and 15 Yr1 and i'm finding that the new FS children cannot cope with the structure which the Year 1 obviously need.

Therefore... I was wondering if they were to have their half an hour of Letters and Sounds everyday so they definitely had phonics each day. I could then teach CLL specifically on a Monday, PSRN on a Tuesday, CD focus on Weds and so on. I have half of my class set up with all the FS areas for Independent Learning so they are getting some child initiated time. This is how one of the FS units worked on my teaching practice (i'm an NQT) and wondered how other people work and if this would be sufficient?

Sorry Chrystal it doesn't answer your question but I guess i'm wondering exactly the same thing! :)

Thanks

I think it is really a timetable issue - fitting it all in. It does make sense I think not to do literacy and numeracy each day as all 6 areas should be taught equally (even though this is not possible because of phonics). When you are trying to get a focused activity e.g. a zig-zag book done with 30 children - it takes so long as they cannot be left to it and this eats into the week. There is just not enough time!!

I teach phonics for 20 mins everyday based upon the Letters and sounds format and using Jolly Phonics alongside. I also teach 4 sessions of literacy over 4 days that include teacher led (guided reading or writing) activties and free choice linked to the text that week. These activties are available throughout the week so that the children can revisit. I always include role-play, small world, mark-making (writing table) sand or water, phonics games/puzzles and so on. I find this works really well and includes a mix of directed and child - initiated. I also find it liberating to teach phonics separate to the literacy sessions as I can now really concentrate on the text level stuff - such as enjoying the book and reading. I also use this approach in my numeracy plans as well.

If you would like a copy of my plans I am happy to email them to you as i always have a problem uploading them - sorry!

I have done this several times for other forum members and i have had a good response. I have Ofsted next week so it will be interesting to see what they think!!

Munch

Thank you all for your ideas. Can I be a pain and ask anyone the amount of time you spend e.g. how many times a week shared reading / shared writing etc and also does the big book for that week have to relate to your topic. I am doing People who help us purely because we are visiting the local fire station. we have no big books relating to this topic and I change topics all the time relating to children's interests so we can't possibly always have books to hand. is it feasible to use any book? any advice most appreciated - thank you.

if you dont mind please could you add a copy for us all to see or if munch doesnt mind please could someone who has a copy post it, would really love to see it.thanks

i teach phonics and guided/individual reading groups daily i have 4 groups in my class (these can be groups of 8) so during a week with my ta we swop regularly we either hear an indivual group read or guided reading daily

we have 4 sessions of language based and 4 sessions of numeracy based over morning afternoons and the activities last all morning/or all afternoon, one adult is focused on a directed teaching ativity the other adult is working in smaller groups/pairs or observing or joining in wiith the play the other areas of curriculum fit around these times

outdoor playis included n all my sessions sometimes with an adult sometimes the children play independently outside following safety guidelines

would love a copy too Munch - have tried to find how to pm you, but although I've managed it in the past with someone else, I can't work out what to do!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I teach phonics for 20 mins everyday based upon the Letters and sounds format and using Jolly Phonics alongside. I also teach 4 sessions of literacy over 4 days that include teacher led (guided reading or writing) activties and free choice linked to the text that week. These activties are available throughout the week so that the children can revisit. I always include role-play, small world, mark-making (writing table) sand or water, phonics games/puzzles and so on. I find this works really well and includes a mix of directed and child - initiated. I also find it liberating to teach phonics separate to the literacy sessions as I can now really concentrate on the text level stuff - such as enjoying the book and reading. I also use this approach in my numeracy plans as well.

If you would like a copy of my plans I am happy to email them to you as i always have a problem uploading them - sorry!

I have done this several times for other forum members and i have had a good response. I have Ofsted next week so it will be interesting to see what they think!!

Munch

That sounds very similar to what we do, so makes me feel more confident! Is there any chance i could have a copy? Thanks, Jill

• 3 months later...

Our literacy co-ordinator has just introduced a new way for us to teach literacy. We do it over a 3 week block week 1 the focus is role play so if our topic is goldilocks lots of role play on the story. Week 2 the focus is speaking and listening so we would carry out activities such as hot seating and week 3 would be a writing focus such as a character description. Alongside this we do a daily phonic and guided reading session. We have just completed our dirst 3 week blcok and it went ok. I can see how it works well with stories - i am yet to see how it would be work with other topics. I would be interested to hear what others think to our new scheme .

Munch I am starting in FS this September and would really Appreciate a copy of you planning to help me get started.

Our literacy co-ordinator has just introduced a new way for us to teach literacy. We do it over a 3 week block week 1 the focus is role play so if our topic is goldilocks lots of role play on the story. Week 2 the focus is speaking and listening so we would carry out activities such as hot seating and week 3 would be a writing focus such as a character description. Alongside this we do a daily phonic and guided reading session. We have just completed our dirst 3 week blcok and it went ok. I can see how it works well with stories - i am yet to see how it would be work with other topics. I would be interested to hear what others think to our new scheme .

This sounds interesting Lola, I'm after changing our literacy because it just seems to have been such a mess this year, with introducing Letters and Sounds and looking at trying to implement new literacy strategy (without any trining or advice and finding it really confusing :o ). I see what you mean about working really well for stories. We've got an airport as our new role play area as we're doing a topic on transport, so Week 1 could be guided role play in the airport, week 2 introducing different scenarios?? lost passport, missing child, problems with airplane delays (or is this just more role play?) and week 3 writing signs, postcards, filling in forms, packing lists etc.

Would be really interested to hear how it works out Lola, please let us know what you do and whether you think it's working.

Harricroft

Hi everyone! I've not added anything for ages as always seem so busy.

I plan for a CLL session four mornings a week. I do a whole class 15/20 minute warm up based on Letters and Sounds and Jolly Phonics and then plan two adult led group activities which all four groups of children will carry out during the course of the week on a rotational basis. My TA works with one group, I with another while the two remaining groups choose from the indoor/outdoor play planniing. I agree, there is so much to fit in with Letters and Sounds but I find it can be incorporated into the activities I plan for CLL with a bit of jiggery pokery. Don't know whether I'm right but it seems to work for my class. :o

I have wondered about introducing a literacy hour session later this term to prepare the children for Year 1 but still not sure what to do so any ideas gratefully received.

This sounds interesting Lola, I'm after changing our literacy because it just seems to have been such a mess this year, with introducing Letters and Sounds and looking at trying to implement new literacy strategy (without any trining or advice and finding it really confusing :o ). I see what you mean about working really well for stories. We've got an airport as our new role play area as we're doing a topic on transport, so Week 1 could be guided role play in the airport, week 2 introducing different scenarios?? lost passport, missing child, problems with airplane delays (or is this just more role play?) and week 3 writing signs, postcards, filling in forms, packing lists etc.

Would be really interested to hear how it works out Lola, please let us know what you do and whether you think it's working.

Harricroft

Funny you should say that Harricroft we are just into our second week with the topic of transport!!

Week 1 we had guided role play in the small world area with various transport sets - airport, train set, road set etc.. Our role play area has been made into a travel agents. This week we have been looking at a non-fiction text on transport - the speaking and listening has involved children reading pages of the text to each other and finding information using the contents page. Next week we will be writing our own non-fiction book - some children will be labelling pictures of aeroplanes, ships, cars etc... Others will be writing a dcescriptive piece on a type iof transport and its uses. So far it has worked really well - i am actuallt enjoying teaching it more has i feel can see the bigger picture of were the children are going with their learning also it has much more purpose for the children.

• 3 weeks later...

Munch

Hi brand new to this site. Could I happen to get a copy of your plan as well. I am moving from year 4 to reception from Sept. Scary but exciting!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)