Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mirror Writing

Hi there everyone,

I have a little girl who writes all her letters mirror image and in reverse. She is finding letter formation extremely difficult. I have spoken to her Mum about this and she is concerned that she might be dyslexic. Her reading is a bit "hit and miss", although she can recognise all her letter sounds. Has anyone had experience of this and if so, can you offer me any advice? The little girl in question does in fact have Cerabal Palsy, would you think that the two could be linked?

I would really appreciate any help with this. :o

Thanks

I don't know about any link with cerebal palsy, but my son (now 24 yrs) wrote his name ELLIS mirror image when he first started writing it, I too as an anxious mum worried about dyslexia ( basically through ignorance because I don't think this is a trait of dyslexia). However, I then thought 'how clever', even if I tried to write his name mirror image I would really had to think about it :o

The 'problem' just naturally rectified itself, no pressure was put on my son to say he was doing it wrong.

I then in later years learnt during my studies about the link between vision and brain, and realised it was just imaturity, the eyes see an image, this goes to the brain, the brain transfers that image to the hand, which then represents the image, during this process the image is changed from mirror to 'normal'. So, I think that this is just a physical stage of development, it depends, in this case, on the age of the child whether it is an actual delay.

Others, I am sure will be along to explain more clearly.

Peggy

Is she left handed?

Sometimes children need to be taught that we write from left to right, others do not seem to have the same problems. I have found that all children have benefitted from being able to practise left to right movements, using their whole bodies and moving across a space, using their fingers and drawing in trays of sand and with painting or drawing lines. I have also reinforced this with a left to right chant when moving.

Thanks for your advice.

It was reassuring to hear of your personal experience Peggy - thank you I am sure this will reassure her parents. I will provide lots of opportunities for the little girl in question to practice left to right movements in her play both indoors and out.

Any further advice welcome.

Thank you.

I've just bought a book and cd called Penpals for handwriting which is a multisensory programme for early letter formation, using lots of fun whole body activities to stimulating and appropriate music. Maybe she just isn't ready for pen and paper yet? We have had lots of mirror writers over the years and as Susan says, it has resolved naturally. Don't make a big 'thing' of it but gently guide and model correct direction.

By the way you didn't mention how old she is......... what kind of setting are you etc

Thanks LJW,

I too have used Penpals in the past, but this year our school is introducing cursive handwriting. I am in Reception class and the little girl in question will be five in February.

Thanks

Yes, I agree - I remember them being great and the children really enjoying them. Unfortunately, we do not have the resources in my present school - and there is very little chance of them being purchased either.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry; it's to do with maturation and laterality. I'm left-handed and can still (even at my advanced age!) write forwards and backwards equally quickly and comfortably, although my handwriting styles differ greatly depending uopn which way I'm writing. I know, weird, aren't I!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)