Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New To Nursery Teaching

After a year off work, I have returned to teach Nursery aged children. I have never taught this age group before and just wondered if anyone has any tips such as how to get their attention; doing group activities - I ask that one because I only had time to have 3 or 4 children do a craft activity yesterday afternoon. By the time we had chatted , helped with cutting and done the activity it was snack time. What kinds of quicker craft activities are there? I also found it quite hard writing assessment notes alongside the activity especially when there were constant floods at the water tray! I would be grateful for any tips -Thank you!

Hi kermit, welcome back to work :o

I would only worry that not all children had taken part unless you had a queue, if you didnt then I would take it that the others werent interested. I always try to stay away from any activity that requires me cutting, try always to plan that all the resources are available, that the children can use the scissors themselves or with maybe a bit of supervision and have a craft that is open ended. That way, you wont have to watch and take part quite so much.

I often prepare the easles/cover the table in paper, provide paint, sponges, cotton, buds, brushes etc and leave them to it. It helps with your observations if you dont have to be too involved too.

Also, I'm not in a school nursery, so our ratios are more managable xD

Hi Kermit,

Glad you're returning to work, and hope you really enjoy being back working with children. :o

In answer to your craft question, I'd try to avoid the sort of activity which is too prescribed, eg everyone making a giraffe out of cardboard rolls, etc, as it doesn't give much scope for creativity, and, as you say, takes up so much time, only a few children will get the chance to do it. Instead, have a range of materials and tools which you set out (and also those which children can select for themselves) and let them decide what to do. Help them along the way with techniques, and by all means, create your own work of art so that children see you value the activity yourself. Talk out loud about what you are using and doing, and what your picture/sculpture/model/collage is about, and you'll find the children get used to talking about their creations as they make them. Then, you'll be able to jot down observations during the activity, and it won't feel so much like an additional task that you have to get done.