Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Activities

Can anyone advise me of the best way to manage groups throughout the day. I am knew to Reception and I have 4 groups of children. It is my understanding that we have to introduce 5 phonemes per week. To do this I was intending to provide 3 activities ( one of which a phonics sheet for the first sound) and 3 other activities relating to that sound. I would then change the groups each day until all groups had completed each task. If I do this how can I introduce another sound before all groups have completed the first phonics sheet, as it will take 4 days for each group to do each task? I hope this doesn't sound too confusing. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you using the new Letters and Sounds phonics? They recommend 4 phonemes a week. Friday would be a review. The activities following your discrete 15/20 minute session do not all necessarily have to link with the phoneme and can include child initiated activities/play. These activities can also be spread throughout the day. Also worksheets are not recommended and should be used sparingly or creatively. As Susan said the activities should be practical, play based. Have a good read of Letters and Sounds as it does give some very good ideas and suggestions as well as a framework for teaching.

Hope that is of help!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)