Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Provision For Re Pe And Science In The Fs

Hi all,

I joined a while a go, but this is my first attempt at a post, so here goes.

I am a reception teacher and am trying to reorganise my timetable, but my head is very concerned about having the right amount of timetabled PE, RE and Science. There are two reception classes, but we are very much lumped into KS1 and I am fighting to be seen as foundation, not KS1. Obviously these subjects fall into the 6 areas. I think that KS1 and 2 have to have a certain amount of PE etc. a week, but does this apply to reception?

Many thanks.

Jacq250

Hi Jacq and welcome.

Technically all areas of the FS curriculum should have equal weight so maybe they should have equal time allocation? In practise of course it is possible to block things so weekly times may not be appropriate exactly. I try to ensure that my timetable is broad and balanced and I think once children are in reception classes the emphasis on RE changes especially when they reach 5 but I do not know if there are any specific time allocations for FS otherwise. Hopefully someone else will do!

Hi Jacq and welcome from me. The RE in recetion depends on you agreed syllabus. Our new syllabus tells the FS to use the six areas to teach RE through them. As RE coordinator and FS coordinator I have suggested that the nursery teaches more christianity than reception, and reception concentrates on other faiths as well as Christmas and Easter. This way the foundation recieve a good mixture ready for the more formal KS1. There is no time stated for RE in foundation but you need to look at your agreed syllabus.

Hello Jacq, welcome to the group, I'm sure you will love it. I am in a pre-school so I realise it's different but we cover RE as part of knowledge and understanding of the world, but we don't allocate a set amount of time for it. As for PE we provide daily excercise as part of the session.

It must be hard if you have to plan th esame as KS1, have you pointed that you are FS and need to plan accordingly?

Sal

Hello!

This is not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.

Thanks so much for your comments. I have a meeting with my head tomorrow, so hopefully I will be able to talk her round to a more flexible approach.

Have a good evening.

Jacq :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)