Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Non Topic, And Child Led Planning

Hi

we have been doing non topic and child led plabnning for about 6 months now, but i am worried that we are not keeping enough written observations/notes as to why/how we carry out an activity.

i am rather worried that our pre-school planning in particular does not neccessarily clearly show how the children are meeting the early learning goals.

does anyone do non topic planning and have any planning sheets that i could possibly look at, i never seem to be able to get this planning right, and with an inpending ofsted inspection its definatly top of that 'to do' list.

thanks

Dawn

Dawn, your planning can only show how you 'plan', possible learning outcomes for the children. Planning can't show if learning goals are being met. You've mentioned observations and these are the key, on children and adults, including evaluation.

What I mean is that if your childrens achievement files/records are showing which goals they 'are' learning/progressing toward, then your plans only need to show how you are going to meet any 'gaps' identified in their learning/progression. These gaps could be 'supported' ( but guaranteed to be met) through adult led activities, or through reflecting on resources available in your continuous provision ( ie: if maths is shown as a 'gap' plan to provide more maths resources which link with childrens current play interests to 'grab' their attention) and also look at how adults can support learning and/or progression through maybe changing the way they interact with the children to help them focus on a particular knowledge or skill.

It's really about your staff knowing their key childrens development needs and interests.

Peggy

Thank you for this post, it is something I worr about too.

we now have a weekly plan with all the activities within the continuous provision and put initials of the children we are focussing on. Would be interested to see any planning others have definately

:o planning arghhhh!!!!!!!!!! This is one of those subjects that keeps popping up. Why aren't there basic templates for planning? surely this would make life a little easier!!!!??????

We complete an activity sheet before and after every activity which includes learning intentions, resources, process, where

it links into the Eyfs, links to the Every child matters and an evaluation at the end.

This does help us to plan and evaluate if an activity or topic is successful!!

I could do with some help with short term planning. It's not the actual planning just how to lay it out on paper. We are non topic, except for festivals, special events etc. Same areas out everyday e.g. creative, drawing/writing, sensory, physical and so on but just can't seem to get it down on paper that keeps the powers that be happy and is clear enough for all to follow on a weekly basis. Any examples would be a great help, pretty please :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)