Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning/activites Help!

hi, am planning for several weeks on 'materials and magnetism'. did write in the R/Y1 by mistake. any activites, role play ideas would be of great help xxx

I have a very simple activity that I did recently. In a big tray I had lots of different objects and magnets. The children had to sort which objects stuck to the magnets and which ones didn't. The children really enjoy testing them. You could even have a chart where you have the objects listed and give the picture or word a tick or a cross. The children then walked around the classroom testing other objects such the metal part on a clipboard/paper etc.

Some children were able to figure out that only metal objects stuck to the magnet.

How about filling little plastic see-through bottles (rather like discovery bottles) with materials that are attracted to magnets such as paper clips. Put the lids on and run the magnet along the bottle and watch as the magnet drags paper clips up and down the bottle. You could use materials that will not be attacted to the magnets too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)