Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

7 Weeks Pregnant With First Baby

Hi Rachel,

Congratulations that's excellent news. I had my first child in July 05 - the same month that I graduated from my BA. I didn't find out I was pregnant till 15 weeks so I guess I couldn't have had any symptoms or problems to get that far without knowing. At about 20 weeks pregnant I started my teaching practice - this didn't finish till 34 weeks.

My main problem was tiredness. Was in a very pressurised situation - trying to finsh my degree (still had lots of essays etc) and on my final block school experience being observed weekly, file checked, etc. I don't think I even realised till pretty far into my placement how tired I was. Before having my baby I was a pretty last minute person - use to leave essays etc till the last minute. Becuase I was concentrating on my school placement I had left a 2000 word essay pretty much till the last week. Managed to get it all written but left typing up till the night before. Usually staying up all night to finsh work would not have been a problem for me however as hard as I tried I just couldn't manage to stay up. There were a few times when I got in from school and went straight to bed and didn't get up till the next morning.

I think if it had been now when I have my own class and a couple of years teaching under my belt I would have been a million times easier - however I did have a very simple and straightforward pregnancy apparently - here''s hoping yours is the same. xD

My best advice would be to ensure you are really organised - try to get all the work you need to get done at the weekend or whenever suits you because as you get further on you just won't have the energy to be doing it at nights after a full day in the classroom.

Rachel

PS. Forgot to say, be prepared for difficult questions from the children as you get bigger. I was teaching a Year 5 class and had lots of 'But Miss, we just don't understand - how did that get into your stomach!' :o

Guest Wolfie

Many many congratulations! It's a l-o-n-g time since I was pregnant whilst teaching...1988.....but I too remember the overwhelming tiredness during the first few weeks, together with the inevitable sickness. I always had a ginger biscuit or banana handy to nibble - my colleagues were very understanding - and just learnt to give into tiredness whenever I could, usually as soon as I walked in the door at the end of the day. No late nights! The tiredness does subside as you get into the swing of things, just don't overdo it! It's a really special time for you, try and make sure you enjoy it as much as you can.

Many congratulations, Rachel!

Not being a teacher I can't really help. However one thing I did find useful were those motion sickness wristbands which really helped the nausea (especially on a ferry crossing over the Irish Sea which if you've ever done it you'll know is quite a challenge even when you're not pregnant!).

Having a dry biscuit on hand is a good idea too for those moments when you need a little something to get you through the morning...

Good luck!

Maz

Hi Rachel

Congratulations. I had my last 9 years ago and I can still remember the awful tiredness, knowing your eyes just want to shut but you still have to teach. I used to cat nap at playtimes(if I was'nt on duty) and then during lunchbreak. You do get past that though. Now I'm head of the nursery when my staff are pregnant i always let them have a sleep in the office/staffroom if they cannot stay awake(not sure what the head would say) Enjoy being pregnant and take advantage of all the help offered. :o

Hi - congratulations.

I was working as a trainer when I was pregnant. Lots of nibbles to try and keep away the morning sickness.

When the biscuits no longer work and you have to leave the room -let somone know, who can stand in.

My lasting memory is saying read these notes and I popped out. I was gone over half an hour and when I came back looked very green.

Also a jacket hides a bump well and as do tunic style tops.

(probably be honest with the children as well - someone I worked with tried to keep it a secret for months and months and months. Until one of the upper school announced it across the dinner hall)

have fun - it will be great.

Hi Rachel and congratulations.

Tiredness and sickness were my main problems. The latter being worse if I was tired and Im afraid my body failed to realise that it was early morning sickness and only up to about 13 weeks. It did get better but it never completely went away, unfortunately and I learnt to avoid those foods and smells as best I could that made me nauseous. I can remember being sick one morning as my husband cleaned his shoes downstairs in the kitchen and I was upstairs, the shoe polish smelt so strong.

I nibbled a lot and found mints helped (I usually hate mints!) and I drank lots of lucozade which also helped.

I also had 8 weeks off work when I was about the stage you are at and if you need to consider that then you should. Second time around was a bit better as I was able to pace myself being a stay at home mum.

Look after yourself and happy planning!

Congratulations! I can't offer any advice on the teaching front, but I agree that you should try and be as organised as possible, as I am finding out again, the tiredness can knock you completely for six.

Congratulations from me, too!

All I can really remember was that awful nauseous feeling - as it had taken forever for us to find out what to do ( :o ), I confess I finished work very early, in case it all went pear-shaped! So the tiredness wasn't really a problem for me.

Enjoy your pregnancy, it will soon be over!

Sue

Congratulations from me too Rachel.

I was a stay at home mum for both of mine and I do remember falling fast asleep, sitting up reading to my oldest child when pregnant with my second. The tiredness can be overwhelming.

Just remember, ignore the dust and shut the door on those unmade beds. Rest as much as you can and enjoy this happy time.

Keep us posted on your progress. :o

:o Congratulations......can't offer advice on teaching and being pregnant but the tiredness was my main problem. Be organised and listen to your body and rest as much as possible. xD

Listen to your body - it's very good at telling you what you need! I had cravings for raw mushrooms with number 1, dried fruit and nuts with number 3 and raw cabbage with number 4. Just make sure you have a good supply of whatever you fancy with you wherever you go so that you can have a nibble as the need strikes! Also, don't try to fight the tiredness as you will be on to a losing battle. As Susan says, don't discount the possibility of taking time off work.

Congratulations and good luck! :o

Congratulations from me too! A word of caution about fruit and nuts - my friend kept some in her desk for snacking on when she was pregnant and teaching. Later she discovered that her little girl had an acute nut allergy, something to be avoided if at all possible. I think there's probably a list of all the things you should avoid eating (soft cheese, nuts etc). Ask your GP or health visitor.

Above all enjoy the experience as much as you can, its all over too soon - mine's 19 and I can't understand how it happened so quickly! :o

I thought that peanuts were only to be avoided if you had a history of asthma/eczema/allergies and therefore more likely to pass on the problem to your child. Generally nuts are absolutely fine and a really nutritious food source. :o The list of foods to avoid are those that have a higher risk of food poisoning but you'll be given that information.

Congratulations

Enjoy your pregnancy, relax and rest when your body tells you.

I think current advice is that mothers who avoid nuts in pregnancy run a greater risk of their child having nut allergies.

Beau your cravings were much healthier than mine. With my daughter I "lived on" sports mixture" sweets :o

No further advice from me, my one and only pregnancy was great, I got a job at 7 months pregnant :o in a pub, as a barmaid and worked lunch and evenings until the day before he was born, ( 5 weeks premature), bought on because I was moving home and lifting furniture, that was 24 yrs ago!! !! I wasn't aware of maternity leave rights. :(

Just wanted to say

CONGRATULATIONS. xD

Peggy

Thank you so much everyone for your lovely comments and advice. I was sick three times this morning :o and haven't had that before. I couldn't keep anything down until lunch time... Just hoping I'm not sick at school xD:( I feel much better though in the afternoons but as you know mornings can be the busiest in a Reception class and hoping I will be able to manage

Aww congrats on your news! I've not had any children yet, although we do plan to start trying later this year. I hope you have an easy pregnancy.