Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Penguin Small

Im being observed this week and the task is for 10 mins in the context of 'far far away', I thought about reading the book Penguin Small and using a globe to track his journey. Do you think this would be ok? (year 1 children)

Any other ideas that I could do after reading the story?

thanks

Hi shootingstar, observation at this time of year seems a bit mean!?

Im afraid Im not up to speed with penguin small and dont know that story at all. If from the context of your observation the focus is geography what you suggest would seem to make sense but Im not sure Im helping you. I would think you need to be very interactive to keep the children focused.

Good luck.

thanks susan its for an interview! Im trying to plan the lesson and sort out my own 'hectic class' aswell as the nativity, discos and everything thing else, bit of a strange time for an interview

I will try and think of an interactive activity to go with it.

Hi Shooting star - I am not familiar with the story so not sure how much I can help. Is the observation 10 mins in total? How many children? Could you try to do some drama perhaps - maybe freeze framing at part of the story or a conscience alley? I would def go for something as interactive and exciting as possible - my children are as high as kites at this time of year (they have been for the last 2 weeks :o ) and I know I have struggled to get anything remotely resembling work and calm discussions etc for the last couple of weeks.

Hi, thanks for replying I like the idea of the freeze frames.

The bit Im struggling with is this- ' an activity based on the context for learning Far Far Away'

The story is about a penguin who travels from north to south pole

yes its for 10 mins and its with 8 children.

you could go onto the santa webcam to see where he lives ( in Finland ) and then plot his journey from there - the site has useful info too. just google in 'santa webcam' to get there - it's a live link from Finland to Santa's grotto and workshop.

Just a thought,

Could you use a small parachute or circlular tablecloth and see if the children can roll a ball accross it - from one to another far away?

Or use a prop like a globe to look at the top and bottom of the earth?

Best of luck x

Guest tinkerbell

How about the Nativity?

Its far far away and a long time ago

You could ask them what they know about the story and write it as a mind map say in blue pen.Then ask them to think about what tells us it was far far away from England...clothes,sand,hot country etc

write this in red If they were sat on floor they could use small whiteboards work with a partner and write their idea

Then what tells us itwas long long ago? eg travelling on a donkey

You could have a map and show them where Bethlehem is .If you have an iwb you could google and show them Bethlehem.

Tinkerbellx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)