Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Story Sessions

I am planning provision to engage parents and children in books and library membership. I also want to run some sessions for children under 4 and their parents, using stories as the central theme. Does anyone have any book titles they can recommend re: planning story sessions, involving parents, for the under 4s?

Hi Dana

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. When you say book titles do you mean stories that you can use or information books on how to set up the sessions? If it is story books there is some ongoing discussion which you will be able to find here. Info books I'm sorry I can't help you with.

It sounds very interesting. Will you be doing this in your setting during the day?

Linda

HI Dana,

welcome aboard. Sounds like an interseting project and the first thing that springs to mind is "storysacs". There are several publications available to support that, although whether they would help you I don't know.

Good luck.

Susan

Welcome, Dana :)

From your post, I'm not sure if you work in a pre-school setting, or a library! Am I being dense? :o

If you work in a setting, have you contacted your local library for some guidance? Our library runs story sessions regularly, and I'm sure many others do too. They may well be able to offer some advice.

If you have a local (children's) bookshop, they will probably know if there are any children's authors living locally who would be happy to run a story session in return for setting up a display of their published books. Many authors do workshop-type visits, getting the children to make up stories, using pictures or puppets to develop language skills, etc.

Finally, do you need the name of titles of story books which would work well, or do you have enough in mind? :)

There is a website which gives a few ideas. It's American but might still be of some help to you:

www.storyarts.org

:)

Hi Dana,

Welcome to the site! :) Did you have a particular format in mind to your sessions? Sounds like it will be good fun and anything to get parents and children reading together is worthwhile. Good luck with it! :D

Hi Dana,

Welcome!

my setting has been taking groups of children to the local library for about 6 months now - it really works well and the children love it! :( So do the parents, as we are a Day Nursery most of our parents work full time, and some are appreciative that their children have been introduced to the Library system, and have asked for the children to be enrolled and bring books back. Talk about in loco parentis!! :o

They've recently had a revamp and offered us some old (but still very acceptable) equipment, which is a bonus :) . Sometimes one of the librarians comes in to the setting to do a storytime - the children always get very excited, wanting to show her everything and swamp her completely!! I'm amazed she comes back xD

Am working on a parent/child type arrangement as you suggest, but think it will be very limited in my setting , with it being a DN. Please let me know how you get on,

Sue :D

Thanks for all the replies. I work for a Sure Start programme. We already have story sacks so I was really needing adult reading material about strategies, getting parents involved, organising sessions etc. I am fairly new to post and the programme is new so we are trail blazing at present.

Hi Dana that sounds interesting.

Not sure I can help but do you know the Share programmes. There is an excellent one for FS and although not reading directly it may have ideas you could use. It is aimed primarily at parents to enable them to work / support their children at home, after led sessions in setting.

Its also an accredited program for adult learning. I have been trained but our parents showed no interest so have not put it into practise. I can't remember the producers either and I'm off work sick at the moment so can't tell you any more.

Hi

Dont know if "Learning through story" by Val Emblem and Helen Schmitz would be any good. It full of ideas - sort of a resource book if you like.

It's a scholastic publication but haven't got it to hand so cant give an isbn number, sorry :o

• 3 weeks later...

Kipper's toy box - a lovely story

can easily be made into a story box

the story is around Kipper counting his friends which are soft cuddly toys

they can be kept in a brown cardboard box like the story

cuddly friends can be bought from car boot sales

little mice who hide in the 'sock thing' are available from Ikea

I found a real kipper at a school fayre - they thought I was mad when I showed my pleasure at finding him.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)