Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Planning For Foundation Unit

Hi

i start my new job as teacher in charge of Foundation in January - it consists of 2 reception classes and a 39 place nursery in one big room with dividing doors - potentially 138 children in a day!

I've been in a bit and the staff are brill and so are the children so I'm very very excited - I just wanted to pick your brains re planning.

At the moment it's very topic led, with a different mini topic happening every week. My gut feeling is to pull back on the play i.e. don't change everything every week and lead towards high quality continuous provision.

I just wondered what other people think? i'm also developing an observation/assessment/tracking system as it's very difficult to know so many children really well

i'm also going to develop a settling in curriculum - very PSED based

Lots of ideas going round in my head at the moment

People's opinions will be very gratefully received!

Thanks

Wow how exciting! It sounds wonderful and you are so enthusiastic, which is of course the only way to be. No help or advice really except don't make changes too quickly, as even the best change can be a bit threatening to people who have been there for some time. Best of luck in your new role.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We run a Foundation Stage unit very similar to your set up, 2 reception classes and 30 nursery am and 30 pm. We currently run on a fortnightly mini topic that is lead by stories. We plan for 3 focus activities in each area of learning and continuous self supporting tasks.

sounds fantastic good luck with start and l'm sure your staff will enjoy working with you setting up new changes i've always welcomed changes but some staff at our school find it hard to be reflective on practice and implement new changes i am so lucky to work with early years staff who constantly reflect and want improvement i reckon another cream cake day due

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)