Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning

Hi

Can anyone help? I'm a student on my final teaching practice and I need some activities on the subject of baby animals. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Buttonmoon :D

Hi Buttonmoon, welcome to the site and congratulations on choosing such a great name! :D

The first thing that springs to mind is getting pics or painting pics of animals and their babies, giving the proper names for the offspring. Emphasize that many babies look like their parents, but some babies don't, eg tadpoles and caterpillars! There's a great book called "Monkey puzzle" about a baby monkey looking for his mum and the butterfly tries to help him, making lots of mistakes along the way. It ends with the butterfly saying that she didn't realise the monkey looked like his parents because her babies don't look like her! Our children love it.

Did you want to keep to farm animals, pets or wild (or humans!)?

We're just using 'monkey Puzzle' this week, I found it in the library last Saturday. The children really do love it & were really good at guessing what the animals were going to be by looking at the clues - clue lots of acting outside, pretending to be all the different animals!!

Dianne xxx

The 'Monkey puzzle' book sounds just the thing I'm looking for - do you know who the author is?

Harricroft.

Hi Buttonmoon

At school we have a collection of books called 'Are you a (particular creature)' They seem to be mini beast orientated but are lovely reads. They explain the life cycle of the animal eg ladybird through questioning the children whether their life, looks etc are like this. My class loved being asked whether they ate aphids! Several months on many remember that word and others will find it with very little prompting.

Enjoy your topic!

Angela

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)