Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children's Starting Points

I am looking to improve our child development records, part of this involves looking at children's starting points on entry. Currently we send out an 'All About Me' type questionaire, it mainly focusses on the care aspects like, does your child have a comforter, favourite toys etc. OFSTED are often picking up settings for not having more 'developmental' starting points. Does anybody have any ideas, or things they do for starting points?

Quite like the idea of this kind of thing but would presume a lot of parents would put things down that their children can't actually do!!!! Things like .......can already count to 20, can spell their own name etc then when you do your initial assessments you find out well actually they cant...

Interesting to see other peoples point of view on this. Sure someone will be along soon!

I think drawing a picture of a face or person is an interesting one and it is nice over a period of time to see how this develops. A sheet that allows them having a go at writing their name, can they write any numbers. can they recognise shapes, numbers their name, can they rote count, recognise any letters, know any sounds, cutting a basic shape, hope this might be some help. ger

Quite like the idea of this kind of thing but would presume a lot of parents would put things down that their children can't actually do!!!! Things like .......can already count to 20, can spell their own name etc then when you do your initial assessments you find out well actually they cant...

Interesting to see other peoples point of view on this. Sure someone will be along soon!

Know exactly what you mean about that!!

Thanks ger, great ideas. All i've got to do now is find the time to devise the thing!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)