Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Multi-sensory Room

We are planning to extend our Nursery and would like to set up a

multi-sensory room. We don't have loads of cash so would like cheap/free ideas but also more expensive 'wow' type ideas we can save up for. can you suggest any good suppliers / websites for ideas too ?

Thanks.

Galleon

Probably irrelevant, but....

One of my children's friends did a GCSE topic aimed at VI children. He bought loads of cheap stuff and assembled a transportable unit.

Some ideas I gleaned:

Wall tiles from IKEA (multi faceted, shiny things, very cheap).

Plasma ball (available from "pound shops").

Disco ball (ditto).

Twirly perspex things (my 13yr-old makes them for free as a hobby at after school TK classes - so ask around).

Cheap torches (also look for "disco lights" - tiny, very bright torches in various colours, about 50p each from shops such as QD).

All sorts of holographic wrapping paper/card (use it with torches).

I have loads more ideas for visual, all stemming from that young lad's project.

Other sensory areas are probably just as cheaply covered. Someone will have ideas.

Diane.

WE set up a sensory room last year for our children. I wasn't instrumental in this, but one of my closest friends was, so I'll find some info. I do know that she raised lots of sponsorship from local businesses though. I'll ask anyway and get back to you.

Kate

A friend has created a multi sensory room for her school - and all by herself!

She has in her room

A CD player with natural sounds CD plus some chill out music

A projector for some of those plasma wall effects

A sheepskin rug and a 'bed tent' with fairy lights fixed to the ceiling inside the tent and a string of spaghetti fibre optic lights on the floor

A soft sofa and large cushions -plus some floppy animals that can be sat on or cuddled

Window blinds to keep out light when needed.

A large company gave lots of help and there was a grant ( after most of the work had been done though) which bought some soft play blocks - and a soft punch bag !

The room is a valuable resource for the whole school and lots of the staff go along just to sit a while and chill ( when the children arent there naturally)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)