Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents Concerns

Whilst i was at Uni yesterday one of our parents had a chat with my deputy - and I need some ideas please.

The parent is concerned as her son has developmental issues, she struggles with his behaviour at home and uses the reward charts etc but nothing works.

She has basically given us the threat that unless his behaviour improves she will remove him from pre-school as he just runs around with us and does nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!! she wants him to be assessed by our area senco as it's her right .and a daily report on what he's learnt that day.

(Mum's just joined the committee and has stated I see all the children as just money !!!! really fed up at. At the last committee meeting I explained how funding works and how we get our money - I was wearing that finance hat that moment not child eductaion)

Anyway The child is fine, a normal 3 year old boy - today for example he's been a waiter in the cafe and taken the orders, cut up fruit lemons, pomegrantes and smashed a coconut to find out what's inside (using a hammer), made a sandwich , drawn a plan of outside for me to show me where he wants the bikes on the paved not the grass and then played on the bikes...

No behaviour issues, speach fine, odd bit of 3 year old sharing prob's nothing else. he's fab popular, made loads of friends this term

Typically today she didn't show up and sent some one else, but what do you think I should do?

I am planning to get the keyworker through is records and explain it all (we haven't sent files home since Sept yet), explain how we work with child's interest on learning. Difficult as I haven't had a chance to speak, but I really want to tell about all the fab friends etc he's making,. No way do I want to involve our area senco - she'd laugh and think I was mad.

How do I make mum see he's a normal, fine, lovely little boy???? Parents ......................................

Hi tess

You may just need some one else to come in and back up what you are saying. Some parents need to feel in control. When their child can not be controlled they look at reasons out side of their control to blame. Unfortunately you are it. I would see if your area senco could pop in and see this child. Even if it is just to get mum off your back. Also you could tell her that her health visitor is also there to support her if she feels he has a behaviour problem. He sounds like a healthy 3 year old to me.

Does she come in on a parent rota? That way she could see how you engage this child, and how he doesn't just run around all day. She may be able to learn from how you interact with him, and implement that in his home life.

Ask her to come in and see him playing. sounds like she's not great parenting skills at home if thats what he does there. try and find out why she thinks he has developmental problems. If he doesn't have problems at school get her to explain more in detail what happens at home. Maybe if she comes in she can learn a few tips on how to keep him occupied at home.

It needs a very sympathetic person to have a coffee and a chat and with out being patronising give her some help. It sounds as though she's been doing alot of talking. Without the money her child would not have a pre-school to go to. A little bit of knowledge and to much talking has caused problems for you by the sounds of it.

Good luck keep her sweet and keep a good smile for her.

Could you take a video of him, take lots of pictures and show her.

Sit her down with the Early Learning Goals and show her how well he is doing? Explain to her how children learn through play nowadays. Get the Health Visitor in anyway as its always good to have them in, I know we try to get our local HV at least once a term in case any parents have any concerns.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)