Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advent Calendars

Advent calenders..........do you have them?

:o I have just brought a lovely cloth advent calendar for nursery....it has 24 little pockets to fill. If at home I would be filling these with small chocolates for my children but obviously to avoid allergies and dietry needs I am going to fill the pockets with something else. I was thinking of using pictures from clip art to laminate and each day when we look inside the pocket we can pull out this picture & say it's a star the children will then be encouraged to think of a christmas song with a star in........

So far I have: star, rudolph, christmas pudding, snowman, father christmas, bells. It doesnt have be 24 different ones becase I'm also using the main songs we sing for the parents at the coffee and mince pie morning we hold so it's going to be another way for us to practice!!!!!!

Once upon a time chocolate advent calendars didnt exist. I can remember the magic of finding a different picture each day.

You might want angels, shepherds, kings and animals in the stable etc to tell the Christmas story

Good luck and dont forget the baby on day 24!

Some non chocolate ideas

Years ago I made my eldest daughter a large advent calendar with extra large pockets.It has a broom handle through and hangs in the hall.I wrap my christmas story selection in christmas paper and put one in each pocket for 'bedtime'.I add a new one or two each year but many have become family traditions.There's a squeal every morning 'Oh I love that one' :( If the book is to big there's a clue eg.Under dad's potato (couch)-where rolls are to let (bathroom) of course they were simpler when the girls were younger xD Christmas Eve is always the Dorling Kingsley photographic Nativity story.

When I was on leave with the youngest and Beth was at nursery she also found a christmas activity to do together in the afternoon when Laura had her nap eg.a doylie and toilet roll cylinder to make an angel-ELC christmas snap-drinking straws and a roll of cellotape to make a star.

When they started 'pestering' for a chocolate one I started buying the Playmobil calendars which I can really recommend for older children.They create a scene and after Christmas they add to the collection :o

This will be the third year we have gone to Portugal for Christmas so we start our calendar early so it ends the day before we fly. :(

thats a lovely idea Mrsb we bought some advent boxes last year we put in different tree ornaments for the children to decorate the tree, we have a set for am and pm children as we run 2 sessional sessions a week plus it fills the tree up a bit quicker. love the idea of telling the Christmas story that way too. may have a bash at those